• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Spends $7.5 billion for the right to NOT have Console Exclusives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
When it comes to video games... NOBODY screws up more than Microsoft. Not even SEGA screwed up as much as Microsoft does. If it wasn't for Windows and Microsoft Office... they'd have been forced to leave the industry

You spend 7.5 billion dollars to NOT have console exclusives???

Imagine is Sony bought Naughty Dog only to let them make Uncharted for Xbox... I mean... WHAT???

https://www.yahoo.com/news/looks-bethesda-games-wont-xbox-114626577.html

Catch 22.

If they did force exclusivity, it can hurt some of the good faith they have with others. That and throwing away money that could be earned by still selling on platforms, but it's now theirs to decide when/if it goes to another non-xbox+pc platform.

It wasn't that article but I saw a similar one. I find it somewhat scary that the MS exec was saying words to the effect they want the best experience to be on their platforms. Which while understandable, does imply even if they're not going exclusive, they don't actually want you to have a good experience on non-MS platforms. My concern with this route is that if MS succeeds in gaining the long term advantage, it will significantly cut into gaming choice when too much power is concentrated in control of one organisation.

Why would they go for exclusivity? They would be cutting out huge parts of the gaming market so I don't see a problem with this. I definitely see them going the way of "engineered for Xbox" or something like that where it looks better or has certain perks or something like that though. Also they will still make money from games sold on other platforms so why would they care where it is played.

they don't actually want you to have a good experience on non-MS platforms.
I doubt that. Just because they want the best experience on their platform, doesn't mean they want others to have a poor experience, just 'better' than the others... the best. If something isn't the best, it doesn't mean it is bad/not good/poor (though it can be).

I doubt that. Just because they want the best experience on their platform, doesn't mean they want others to have a poor experience, just 'better' than the others... the best. If something isn't the best, it doesn't mean it is bad/not good/poor (though it can be).

Agreed, but the way it was presented sounded more negative than that. I hope I'm wrong.

Why would they go for exclusivity?

They have this competitor... I forget what their name is... but they are currently beating the hell out of them in sales... based almost exclusively on exclusivity. (See what I did there...? Masters Degree from the Sorbonne. ;) )

The Xbox Series X and the PS5 perform virtually the same. At times the PS5 is faster... at times the Xbox is faster... on average? They are the same.

Where the Playstation excels is their console exclusives. Last generation they even made STREET FIGHTER V exclusive. Sure that may have hurt Capcom's sales in the long run... but I'm sure Sony paid them more than enough to make up for that.

And what did that investment buy them? A THRONE. Which they currently sit on with Miles Morales, Demons Souls, and some new Gran Turismo by Christmas.

Last generation the PS4 outsold the Xbox One by some comical degree largely because they got off to a huge head start and Microsoft never managed to catch up.

This gen? The exact same thing is likely to happen.

If Halo Infinite had been ready? Maybe things would've been different.

It wasn't... so they aren't.

Exclusives are what drive console sales. Period. /rant

Back