• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[NEWS] How Wii Is Creaming the Competition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
rainless said:
And regardless of if they've sold 4 or 5 milliion consoles by now... that still isn't as many as the 360... let alone the PS2. And the software sa;es/// are about on par with those of the PSP. (With the exception of Zelda of course.)

But as I understand it the PSP hardware was initially sold at a loss while the Wii has been profitable from the beginning.

Oc1Kenube said:
And like said previous M$ have a full year of sales ahead of the Wii it is possible for Ninty to catch up, i believe it will be tough, but i think an aggressive price point and the family focussed theme is going to lead to a lot of parents going out and buying them for the kids at xmas etc over the overpriced ps3 at least

Doesn't matter. Video game companies don't make the bulk of their money through hardware (well... except with the DS Lite...) they make them through software. And the simple fact of the matter is... even if those parents WANTED to buy every Wii game available (which according to NPD sales figures they DON'T...) there simply aren't that many games either available or slated for release.

And like I said, the only way Nintendo could catch up is if Microsoft were sitting still. And that isn't going to happen. As a matter of fact sales of the 360 are about to go through the ROOF once Halo 3 comes out. Until the release of MGS4 or GTA4... (neither of which is being released on Wii) nothing is going to be able to touch it.

The Wii is great, and the hardware sales are great so far, but it's just a matter of time before they are beaten like a drum with software by either the 360, the PS3, or both. It happened with N64 and Gamecube, and it's shaping up that way again for the most part. (Lack of current and planned titles.) Right now, no one has an incredible line up of games, although 360 has the strongest so far. As marquee titles start flowing out (not a question of if, but when), gamers will start snatching up 360/PS3 hardware like hotcakes in comparison. It's just like people who suddenly spend hundreds on PC upgrades as soon as there's a new game they want to play. Even if Wii manages to get ports of some of the same games, I expect most people are going to go with playing the games on high powered hardware and High Def instead of a downgraded standard def version that has a fun little controller. Young kids with frugal parents will be an exception, but they haven't driven the gaming market since NES/Genesis days.

Oc1Kenube said:
I guarantee it wont but i will be upgrading in the next 6 months as i need a dx10 card! Considering my northwood 2.4 and radeon 9600 had the ps2 licked from about it's early second year or so and it would still run games looking better than any ps2 game or probably xbox now.

Hell give devs 4 years to develop games on an 8800gtx and you would probably weep with the eye candy that was made,but the pc market moves on and new hardware is as inevitable as day and night and there would be no xbricks or ps3's without pc tecnology companys developing new hardware, so fact, my pc will urinate all over gran turismo 25, or whatever other sequel you can think of, killzone 6 and the ilk that appears on ps3 or XB360.

P.s have you seen Crysis? Oh, pc exclusive btw. Well at least until a second rate conversion is done and sold to console owners just like far cry on xbox,this will happen right about the time that a sequel will be landing on pc that will blow the original away or some other similar original graphically gorgeous title, like i said previous i would buy the nintendo because it looks fun and as i already have the best box on the planet for realistic games it makes total sense to me.

You love your PC is great because of the sweet gfx and the PS3/360 suck because of it... yet you would buy the Wii.

Makes a lot of sense.

ps your PC sucks and the PS3/360 absolutely blow it away in terms of gfx and it doesn't matter how fast PC hardware advances if you can't afford it.

pps Enjoy all the console to PC ports your getting as the only thing the PC gets thats good enough to be ported are the 1 per year FPSers that are 8/10 possibly 9/10 rated. The PC just can't keep up with its big brother, the console in terms of gaming dollars and development pace. Most of us have come to the dark side because consoles get a lot more games, more diverse games and better quality games and the PC is almost becoming a 1 trick pony. I still PC game, but if thats all i had it would be very boring indeed.

OC Noob said:
You love your PC is great because of the sweet gfx and the PS3/360 suck because of it... yet you would buy the Wii.

Makes a lot of sense.

ps your PC sucks and the PS3/360 absolutely blow it away in terms of gfx and it doesn't matter how fast PC hardware advances if you can't afford it.

pps Enjoy all the console to PC ports your getting as the only thing the PC gets thats good enough to be ported are the 1 per year FPSers that are 8/10 possibly 9/10 rated. The PC just can't keep up with its big brother, the console in terms of gaming dollars and development pace. Most of us have come to the dark side because consoles get a lot more games, more diverse games and better quality games and the PC is almost becoming a 1 trick pony. I still PC game, but if thats all i had it would be very boring indeed.

No i like my pc because i can play games that look good and i want a wii because it looks fun, as in it doesnt take itself to serious,pick up and play,and because i love nintendo games.

Ps my pc dont suck that bad a core 2 @ 2.73ghz is fast enough for any tasks i want it to perform and my 7900gs clocked at 650/900 is still very capable @1280x1024 which is all i need due to 17" monitor yours aint superb but i wouldnt say its bad either,grow up.

pps My pc has the capabilities to be upgraded,which i would prefer to do rather than spend £425 on a ps3 with no games or extra peripherals, r600 crossfire soon,bye bye ps3,xb360!!!

ppps i never said ps3 or xb360 sucked just,and this is the important part. I WOULD PREFER TO BUY A Wii because it looks fun.

pppps what decent console to pc ports ever happen take a look at fear,cod,far cry,stalker all are or soon to be pc/console ports name any genre and i will give you an equal on the pc to any console game but you will have to miss out any simulation or rts as consoles dont get these and fair play the pc dont get many platformers but it can emulate all the best ones and convert a dvd at the same time so i can live without them.

ppppps get your head out of your arse and smell the fact that pc will always be king in terms of groundbreaking software,ie games always has always will. no pc no development tool to make console games either.The argument of this new console is gonna wipe the floor with pc has been happening since ps1 and it aint happened yet

Oc1Kenube said:
No i like my pc because i can play games that look good and i want a wii because it looks fun, as in it doesnt take itself to serious,pick up and play,and because i love nintendo games.

Ps my pc dont suck that bad a core 2 @ 2.73ghz is fast enough for any tasks i want it to perform and my 7900gs clocked at 650/900 is still very capable @1280x1024 which is all i need due to 17" monitor yours aint superb but i wouldnt say its bad either,grow up.

pps My pc has the capabilities to be upgraded,which i would prefer to do rather than spend £425 on a ps3 with no games or extra peripherals, r600 crossfire soon,bye bye ps3,xb360!!!

ppps i never said ps3 or xb360 sucked just,and this is the important part. I WOULD PREFER TO BUY A Wii because it looks fun.

pppps what decent console to pc ports ever happen take a look at fear,cod,far cry,stalker all are or soon to be pc/console ports name any genre and i will give you an equal on the pc to any console game but you will have to miss out any simulation or rts as consoles dont get these and fair play the pc dont get many platformers but it can emulate all the best ones and convert a dvd at the same time so i can live without them.

ppppps get your head out of your arse and smell the fact that pc will always be king in terms of groundbreaking software,ie games always has always will. no pc no development tool to make console games either.The argument of this new console is gonna wipe the floor with pc has been happening since ps1 and it aint happened yet

Ahhh, I was laughing at you because i thought you were bragging about your northwood with a 9600, lol.

Anyway, you list "fear,cod,far cry,stalker" and I'll even throw in HL2, DIII and that FPS with the Indian and the portals that wasn't all that great... oh yeah, Prey.

Console to PC: Halo 2, KotOR, GTA SA/VI, GoW (is it getting ported even?), Fable1/2, RE4, Devil May Cry 3 (even though DMC4 will be out on consoles soon), Rainbow Six Vegas, Ghost Recon:AW 1/2, Lost Planet, CoD3 (oops), Splinter Cell, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Bioshock and pretty much all other MS/360 hand-me-downs that get a PC release because MS makes the 360 and made it easy to port games from the 360 to the PC.

Whats more interesting is what doesn't get ported: Forza, MGS, FF, Rachet and Clank, God of War, Guitar Hero, Burnout, Crackdown, Blue Dragon, Lost Odessy, Motorstorm, Ninja Gaiden, RE5, DMC4, Resistance, Lair, Tekken, Killzone, Dead or Alive, Resistance, Gran Turismo, etc...

pppppps Tell me what PC game you have that looks better than GoW and how much it costs for a next gen video card every year?

Halo 2 is 3 yr old and original halo was planned for pc until M$ bought up bungie,kotor was good but was jointly developed for pc and xbox but was released later on pc after M$ got exclusivity for a couple of months,fable was being developed for pc 1st then M$ paid through the nose for exclusivity,Re4,is the lamest port ever along with all other capcom ports so that includes DMC3 so you can keep them.R6:vegas was devolped multi platform as was GRAW1/2,Splinter cell although graw 2 was released on XB360 1st,cod 4 is coming to pc,bioshock and alan wake were penned for pc release first and i still think they are.

All the ps2 games listed i can play on my pc. i can play dead or alive 2 on dc emu along with soul calibur and all capcom 2d fighters so i dont need any more of those. Forza is just a GT clone what,Killzone....dont make me laugh pc is fps KING! Ninja gaiden is overrated and over hard imo.

GOW ps2 lol name me a game that doesnt look better than it on my pc but for the sake of argument i will say oblivion. if your talking about ps3 version it aint out,so i will choose crysis which aint out either and will look better tyhan any ps3/360 title,all console owners are going to want this game when it lands and your shiny ps3's and Xb are gonna struggle to push the graphics to levels of this particular pc game never mind future pc releases using dx 10.

1 new gfx card every 2 years for me price £150 - £300 although i am getting 2 R600 cards in crosssfire soon at estimated cost of £400

Ps whats with xb3600 games selling for £60 and £50 a time most expensive pc games are about £30 so dont talk about how much it costs for hardware for pc when software robbery happens on every console including wii

Anyway im bored of you now so i bid you farewell and assure you that pc will once again be sitting on top of the pile in 6 months time, i will have bought a wii and you will still be in denial,cant blame you after spending £425 on a console though.

! more thing pc games to look out for: john woo's stranglehold,clive barkers jericho,hl 2 episode 2, team fortress 2,tabula rose,warhammer online,spore,empire earth 3,elite4,unreal 3,colin mcrae dirt,

Last edited:
ya i was about to say

Considering my northwood 2.4 and radeon 9600 had the ps2 licked from about it's early second year or so and it would still run games looking better than any ps2 game or probably xbox now

Sorry to say, a 9600 would get it's assed kicked if it tried to make, say Gears of War look as good as it does on 360 and an HD tv..

Mr.Guvernment said:
ya i was about to say

Sorry to say, a 9600 would get it's assed kicked if it tried to make, say Gears of War look as good as it does on 360 and an HD tv..

just as well im not talking about the 9600 then eh,i was referring to my 9600 creaming the ps2 years ago shortly after the ps2 came out after people had said the ps2 was going to kill pc gaming and it still looking better than any last egn console. i am in fact talking about my soon to be dual r600's on my asus p5w dh deluxe with core 2 @ 2.73ghz 2 gb of pc2 6400 read the post properly next time.

Last edited:
Oc1Kenube said:
just as well im not talking about the 9600 then eh,i was referring to my 9600 creaming the ps2 years ago shortly after the ps2 came out after people had said the ps2 was going to kill pc gaming and it still looking better than any last egn console. i am in fact talking about my soon to be dual r600's on my asus p5w dh deluxe with core 2 @ 2.73ghz 2 gb of pc2 6400 read the post properly next time.

Well you're forgetting one essential point... YOU'RE OFF TOPIC!

Neither your 9600, nor the PS2, nor your strangely low-clocked C2D, nor "years ago" have anything to do... even remotely... with the topic of this thread... Namely: "How Wii is Creaming the Competition."

If you'd like advice on how to get your C2D past 2.73ghz, then by all means mean me on the Intel CPU forum where I'll be more than happy to assist you. :beer:

One thing that would do the Wii a lot of good this year (as rainless hinted) is more major cross platform titles.

Contrary to popular opinion, Mark Rein from Epic confirmed that although they had no plans to do so, a licencee of theirs IS developing at port of UE3 to the Wii for an undiscolsed title. If UE3 can be run adquately (by adequately I don't mean in 1080p with 4x MSAA) by the Wii hardware then it would probably be very encouraging to other devs to port their games. Even taking account of their often vast technical knowledge, I get the impression that a lot of game devs are strongly influenced by FUD. i.e. ID and Epic wrote the thing off, so we won't bother looking into it.

rainless said:
Well you're forgetting one essential point... YOU'RE OFF TOPIC!

Neither your 9600, nor the PS2, nor your strangely low-clocked C2D, nor "years ago" have anything to do... even remotely... with the topic of this thread... Namely: "How Wii is Creaming the Competition."

If you'd like advice on how to get your C2D past 2.73ghz, then by all means mean me on the Intel CPU forum where I'll be more than happy to assist you. :beer:

In every post i have mentioned how i would prefer to have the wii than the other consoles. read the other posts.

And as for muy strangely low clocked e6300 i have posted several topics in the intel section to no avail and regardless a 900mhz oc is not inconsiderable although i realise many people have had more success.

The wii should be spawning fps games as i think the wii remote and nunchuck controll would be totally naturel and may even rival mouse aim,but just maybe.

Oc1Kenube said:
In every post i have mentioned how i would prefer to have the wii than the other consoles. read the other posts.

And as for muy strangely low clocked e6300 i have posted several topics in the intel section to no avail and regardless a 900mhz oc is not inconsiderable although i realise many people have had more success.

The wii should be spawning fps games as i think the wii remote and nunchuck controll would be totally naturel and may even rival mouse aim,but just maybe.

Well that's sort of the odd thing... For one: It'll always be sort of bizarre to point that little remote, instead of a gun, at the badguys on the screen. And two: I don't think Nintendo has any sort of inclination towards first person shooters. It's not their style. Maybe a Metroid game (still way off into the future...) maybe a Starfox (perhaps even FURTHER off...) And none of the developers seem willing to put more than a half-assed effort into porting anything to the Wii. (I site as my example... well... EVERY game that has been ported to the Wii so far. And most of the games that are slated.)

The simple fact is that Nintendo will never put out first party games fast enough. And developers have been pretty put off by some of Nintendo's... how shall we say... "tactical decisions" (the hardware limitations, no online play, etc...)

The Wii needs the same shot in the arm the PS2 got with Tony Hawk 3... only Tony's old and they aren't giving out shots anymore.

Last edited:
I have tried using the Wii-mote on a friend's PC to play CS:S and while it was as you say "a little weird" casting my mind back, it was certainly no weirder than the feeling of disarticulation I got when I first played Quake 1 with a mouse. However I now find that shooting stuff on a screen with an uber-sensitive gaming mouse is second nature, and as such I imagine that the Wii-mote would be fairly easy to get used to and is probably the best contender yet for a living room FPS controller.

Oc1Kenube said:
Halo 2 is 3 yr old and original halo was planned for pc until M$ bought up bungie,kotor was good but was jointly developed for pc and xbox but was released later on pc after M$ got exclusivity for a couple of months,fable was being developed for pc 1st then M$ paid through the nose for exclusivity,Re4,is the lamest port ever along with all other capcom ports so that includes DMC3 so you can keep them.R6:vegas was devolped multi platform as was GRAW1/2,Splinter cell although graw 2 was released on XB360 1st,cod 4 is coming to pc,bioshock and alan wake were penned for pc release first and i still think they are.

All the ps2 games listed i can play on my pc. i can play dead or alive 2 on dc emu along with soul calibur and all capcom 2d fighters so i dont need any more of those. Forza is just a GT clone what,Killzone....dont make me laugh pc is fps KING! Ninja gaiden is overrated and over hard imo.

GOW ps2 lol name me a game that doesnt look better than it on my pc but for the sake of argument i will say oblivion. if your talking about ps3 version it aint out,so i will choose crysis which aint out either and will look better tyhan any ps3/360 title,all console owners are going to want this game when it lands and your shiny ps3's and Xb are gonna struggle to push the graphics to levels of this particular pc game never mind future pc releases using dx 10.

1 new gfx card every 2 years for me price £150 - £300 although i am getting 2 R600 cards in crosssfire soon at estimated cost of £400

Ps whats with xb3600 games selling for £60 and £50 a time most expensive pc games are about £30 so dont talk about how much it costs for hardware for pc when software robbery happens on every console including wii

Anyway im bored of you now so i bid you farewell and assure you that pc will once again be sitting on top of the pile in 6 months time, i will have bought a wii and you will still be in denial,cant blame you after spending £425 on a console though.

! more thing pc games to look out for: john woo's stranglehold,clive barkers jericho,hl 2 episode 2, team fortress 2,tabula rose,warhammer online,spore,empire earth 3,elite4,unreal 3,colin mcrae dirt,

Blah, blah, blah is all I hear from you. Oh this was planned for PC and this was developed for PC, but...

You are full of excuses and just because you say a game isn't good doesn't make it true. Face the fact that PC games are extremely limited and ask yourself why a 4 or 5 year old Xbox port does better for sales that 99% of PC games and its a FPSer for christ sakes.

Btw, GoW is Gears of War, I'm not talking about gfx from a PS2 game you tool. And yeah, Crisis has better gfx, but its not even released so give me a few games that look better on the PC than Gears of War to justify spending $600 every year or two.

PS3/360 games $60, Wii $50, PC $50-60 so not much difference here between console and PC game costs.

"! more thing pc games to look out for: john woo's strangleholdconsole,clive barkers jericho console,hl 2 episode 2console, team fortress 2,tabula rose,warhammer online,spore,empire earth 3,elite4,unreal 3console,colin mcrae dirtconsole"

Those are the ones being released on console off the top of my head.

If you like paying $600 every year or two to play a handful of games then good for you, but you'll never convince me the PC game line up is superior to consoles unless its FPSer, MMO or RTS genres. Thats a different story.

Last edited:
Ummm... OC?

We've finally moved on from the "PC" thing.

Please don't get him started on his computer again. :)

We're back to my endless quest for either a post-Rumsfeld-like change in Nintendo's battleplan or Mario's blood.

Back