• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft to buy LinkedIn for $26.2 billion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seems silly to me. Given the vast number of programmers Microsoft already employs, and the relatively simplistic (compared to their other software) CMS that a "social network" is, they could've created their own for far less than that price, and avoided the horrible reputation for unsolicited spam and email account hacking that comes with the LinkedIn brand.

Yes! ↑ The best one sentence review of the 26 billion dollar acquisition on the internet.

The brute force with which Microsoft hit Windows 7/8 users recently, tricking them to switch over to Windows 10, by reprogramming the X cancel button to mean "Yes install Windows 10" clearly demonstrates that Microsoft wants to give people Windows 10 more than it wants to charge them for it. From what we know about pervasive telemetry of Windows 10, it appears that gathering data is the CENTRAL part of their business now.

It appears true that they don't care about "social network" aspects of LinkedIn.
They paid 26 billion to get the detailed data base on professionals...

I have a multi boot, I spend most of my time on Windows 8 for trivial reason of being able to record TV under Windows 8 since MS took away this feature from Windows 10.
So I would use Windows 10 if this trivial feature was only there... but yesterday the HDMI connection from my PC to my stereo & TV wasn't going through and to diagnose if the problem was the OS, I rebooted from Win8 to Win10 just to see...

And as it was rebooting I subconsciously physically disconnected the ethernet cable from my PC as it was booting into Windows 10 (!)
I was like, what I am doing, what did I just do? I have subconsciously permanently associated being under Windows 10 as being the same as submitting everything I do and everything I have on my PC to Microsoft.

And I neither do, nor have anything on my PC I couldn't publicly share without (too much) concern or embarrassment... if you know what I mean...

So to those of us following what they are doing - they are ALL about gathering data on everything we do, on who we are, on who we interact with, they now exist to get our personal life details... and it's not like Google wasn't already doing that, but Microsoft is so slimy and tacky about it...

Last edited:
So to those of us following what they are doing - they are ALL about gathering data on everything we do, on who we are, on who we interact with, they now exist to get our personal life details... and it's not like Google wasn't already doing that, but Microsoft is so slimy and tacky about it...

Best description of the latest trillion dollar industry that revolves around selling me a certain pair of shoes (or car, or cereal, etc) on the internet.

Back