• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32 Bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrank001

Folks:

I just sold on eBay two Vista OS I used years ago for a build.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICROSOFT-W...perating_Systems_Software&hash=item4ad0a365f3

I've since upgraded to WIN 7 Pro and soon will be going to WIN 8.1 Pro on both builds I used these on.

To off set cost of upgrading, I'm selling some items I no longer want or need.

I just got a email from one of the buyers. They said the the key is not working. It's the key I used to activate windows years ago. I think I paid $220 each for these OEM system builders pack.

How can I help the buyer out? I'm not doing anything wrong by selling what I purchased am I?

Thanks

I don't think you are supposed to be able to resell OEM ones, and I think they are also supposed to only be a single use.

Despite the TOS saying otherwise, you ought to be able to activate the key multiple times. I'm certainly not saying that it's legal (you'd have to check the TOS), but I'd guess that the buyer is maybe lying, or doesn't know what they're doing. I wouldn't accuse them of such just yet, but having them try phone activation is a good plan.

Despite the TOS saying otherwise, you ought to be able to activate the key multiple times. I'm certainly not saying that it's legal (you'd have to check the TOS), but I'd guess that the buyer is maybe lying, or doesn't know what they're doing. I wouldn't accuse them of such just yet, but having them try phone activation is a good plan.

I passed that along. I'll see what happens.

OEM keys get tied to a motherboard. Phone activation is the way to go.

You cannot sell this AFAIK. An OEM license is a one time thing and as mentioned is tied to a motherboard. All one needs to do is call though as you have fuond, but this is illegal to do AKAIK.

You cannot sell this AFAIK. An OEM license is a one time thing and as mentioned is tied to a motherboard. All one needs to do is call though as you have fuond, but this is illegal to do AKAIK.

Thanks EarthDog. I didn't know this. Not my intention to break the law. I've seen guys on eBay add hdd's, memory, and other odds and ends that go with their OS they are selling to keep the "original equipment" with the OS. Shady but legal.

Back