• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mid-level-ish build, need to shave some off the price.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How much are you wanting to shave off the price? Unless your stuck on getting ocz, I hear great things about these G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 , not sure if it makes much of a difference but they are a higher speed, and you dont have to deal with that pesky mir on those ocz :). I'm Sure others will be able to suggest some different things, but that's all I could think of.

I'd say just use the onboard audio :beer:

That saves 27 right there.

Thanks, good suggestions both.

I need to keep the total of this and the laptop I'm getting ($700) to below $1800. It's just barely over now, but that's okay, I'll just sweet talk my dad into it. Any higher, and it's coming out of my pocket, any lower, and I'm conning him into getting a Deathadder with it. (In other words, I still wouldn't mind getting the price down a bit more.)

I was also wondering if it looks like anything is missing (heatsink, cables, etc.), or if anything looks... wrong. This is my first custom build, and I'm pretty clueless about it all.

You picked DDR RAM for a DDR2 board dude. Go with the Ballistix on Newegg, much better RAM at a much better price.

Drop the sound card unless you really need it for sound recording etc..

You can also go Intel for around the same price. E4300 + DS3L mobo would outperform what you have right now.

Oops. I already switched to the RAM jcw88 mentioned, though, but thanks for pointing it out.

Oh, and I dropped the sound card, too. I'll look into Intel, thanks for the suggestion.

Back