• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Migrating from SSD to (larger) SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alistair Heath

Registered
Hi, firstly i'd like to apologise if i sound a bit of a novice as this is my first homebuilt computer.

I've had a working PC for about a year now with the OS (windows 7) running on a 60GB SSD with a larger HDD as backup and general storage. Due to the old SSD becoming full I installed a new SSD with 520GB. So far I have enabled the SATA port in BIOS (it has recognised the SSD is connected) and AHCI is enabled since the last SSD has OS. However I get past BIOS and windows doesnt show the new drive, I enter computer management>disk management but i dont get any initialisation wizard popup but the new disk is visible there. trying to add a new volume gives me a blue screen of death as it dumps memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have read this article (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637721) but it hasn't helped.

Can you initialize it from disk management utility?

I've checked the options for anything resembling initialize but to no avail. the initilisation wizard hasn't popped up either (as windows help said it should do). Is there a specific button to press or byword for initialize? (also thank you)

Computer%20management%20problem.png

If the disk shows up here you should be able to make it active.

hard drive active.JPG

I can't see the image or whatever it was you posted. Can you attach directly to the site. Go down to the reply box, select advanced then on new box use paperclip to attach images.

Ok, so what would be the next step in activating it? (as above adding a new volume crashed it). because this is "my computer" screen:
my%20computer%20problem.png

Does it show up in the bottom center of disk management? If so scroll down to it right click and should be able to make it active, might have to partition it fist

I've Got:
New Spanned Volume (Greyed Out)
New Stripped Volume (Greyed Out)
Convert to Dynamic Disk
Convert to GPT Disk
Properties
Help
and New Simple Volume

Which of these is the correct one?

Ok, this time it didn't blue screen of death but i got an error message saying the process could not be completed because the disk managent console is not up to date and that i needed to refresh it (which i've done as well as restarting disk manager and the computer itself) but i keep getting the same error message. The current disk does not have a drive letter.

What are you hoping to accomplish from this. An Install of windows or cloning the OS drive to the new one?
Hopefully someone else pops in soon , I have to go for a while.

Just to make sure, you set the unallocated section to be a new simple volume, correct?

Does it show up in Windows Explorer now?

i do indeed, when i click it, it gives me the same error message saying: "the operation failed because the Disk Management console is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer"

Give this a shot:

Code:
Try using diskpart to assign a drive letter to Disk #0, Partition #1.
·          Click Start Orb > type diskpart
·          Right-click diskpart in results above > click Run as administrator
·          Once diskpart loads type list volume, press enter
You should notice that you will see your partition that you use for your data, it should not show a drive letter assigned to it.
·          Type select volume 6 (replace 6 with the volume number assigned to the partition in question)
·          Type assign letter Z (replace Z with the letter that you want to assign to it)
When you look in Computer, you should be able to see your partition.
Hope this helps
Source

Ok just done so, 4 volumes are showing up:
Volume 0 - E - the DVD-ROM
Volume 1 - C - New Volume (the old SSD holding the OS)
Volume 2 - G - Recovery - An existing partition of the HHD
Volume 3 D - Hard drive - An existing partition on the HHD

So it seems to me that there is some disparity between what BIOS alongside Computer mangement is picking up and what windows alongside Diskpart is picking up

Boot to a Windows installer and see if the drive shows up properly there.
You don't need to proceed with the install, just checking to see if it is being read correctly.

Just checked and the drives are visible. I've also just gone onto the device manager>Storage Volumes, A Microsoft Community question suggested uninstalling the "unknown device" which i have an the volume is now showing up as volume F but i get a blue screen of death after i try formatting it (which it prompts me to do when i try selecting it in windows)

Back