• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mint and NTFS storage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

I played around with the Live version on USB the other day to get CentOS installed. on a core2 setup

I am about to retire my current desktop (ath2 270, 4GB ram, and ATI HD AIW ~hd3650) for a z87 based intel platform with nvidia video card.

I have two 3TB media storage devices formatted NTFS. Because of the size they are GPT formatted.

I know Mint handles NTFS fine as a read device (I used NTFS formatted USB to hold the ISO for CentOS when I dd'ed an install stick) and I know write is supported with a package. I know it supports GPT as well since gparted gave me the option when I was playing around in Mint.

Can it handle all of the above?

Also a concern because of the NTFS will chmoding the files be an issue? I want the kids to only have access to my kids movies backups not the R rated stuff (kept in a separate folder). thanks!

It should be fine, but I would suggest converting the filesystem to one that is more linux friendly unless you need Windows to read it.

Great! Thanks. Will start working on that tonight :)

Any suggestions as for which Flavor of mint I should install?

I ran the Live version yesterday, and was blissfully unaware there were multiple flavors of Mint. Light and fast is the goal. I will add capabilities as needed/system is capable.

I assume Cinnamon and not the Debian, not sure what the difference is with the others.

the Lightest version of Mint is XFCE. The other ones are meant to have all the wiz-bang gui-goodness

I used to only install Xubuntu, I liked XFCE.

But I definitely enjoyed the whiz bang goodness I had on the Live USB I used.

TBH I do not have enough experience to know what packages I will need yet.

Primary focus is a TV replacement. You tube, Xfinity, and my 4TB of video backups.

Secondary will be my always on desktop for email and forum crawling, online purchases/banking and research

Tertiary, another machine for my kids to use when they come over. A good sandboxed browser.

I am sure I will ask more of it in the future as I become more familiar with the system. I did enjoy the "whiz bang goodness" of the Live version I tried. I really liked the windows manager (better than Windows 7 alt+tab/flip IMHO).

Only issue I had was the counter-intuitive placement of things. For instance, who ever thought gparted is a "preference" instead of system tool, has never used gparted lol. But I assume I can fix that :)

EDIT: It just occurred to me I must have been using a Gnome flavor?

Back