• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mismatched RAM sticks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demien88

So I have a question for you guys, I want to know what you would do in my place. So I have this older ram siting in the basement 2x2gb DDR3 1333 CL9 TakeMS.
I know if I put it in my machine that every module will run at 1333 mhz, but I don't know will it use dual channel or not. Also I hear "ghost stories" that it can screw my motherboard and fry RAM sockets if all sticks are not the same. I mean I wont get much benefit from 12gb of RAM since I don't realy need more than 8 GB only in some games and apps. Give me your thoughts

Don't mix and match is my suggestion. :)

Whats worst it can happen? Board failure? Some say that even same sticks bought separately can cause issues, and thats the reason they sell bundles of RAM. Idk how much of that info is correct.

I mean I wont get much benefit from 12gb of RAM since I don't realy need more than 8 GB only in some games and apps.

So if you know you wont benefit much why risk the instability?

FTR I've never heard of mismatching DDR3 burning up a board, but unless you have no other choice I would avoid it.

Asking just because of info I was never sure why people avoid doing so now I know. I used random ram sticks in my first PC it ran kinda crapy now I know why xD

It can work, but it will take the lower speed and timings of the slower sticks. But it can cause instability.

Tnx on all answers guys, next time I wont even consider it.

It's usually more of a stability problem when the system is overclocked.

Back