• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

miss-match M/Board & Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trippytinker

I purchased a computer for my son from a company called www.vibox.co.uk. Alough I purchased through eBay they are a verified company & we were very pleased with the system, so much so that I purchased another one for another son for Christmas.
However we have a major problem with this one. the motherboard is an Asrock N68-S3 UCC and, at the last minute they sent an email stating
'Unfortunately due to a stock issue we will be substituting the 840/850 processor included in your PC with the Black edition AMD Phenom 965 processor.
This is a faster and more expensive processor at no extra cost to you.'

Now here is the problem the Black Edition is not compatible with the motherboard, this info is on the AMD website & the CPU is pegged at 803ghz (in safety mode)
The staff at Vi Box however will not seem to accept this and state that as the AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor shows 803 Mhz x 4 (cores) it means 803 multiplied by 4 = 3212 Mhz.
I am convinced that is wrong, indeed I have run CPUpro and sent them the results as well as CPU-Z taken whilst running prime95 showing there is a fault but so far they say their calculation is correct.
I say a car doing 800 mph (Ghz) running on 4 wheels (cores) which are each doing 800mph still gives an overall speed of 800.

Sorry this is rambling but am I correct & should I get expert back-up before I return it ?.
All I need is the correct M/board or non Black edition processor.

I had a good look at the cpu list for the mobo 7 it supports the 965 but not the black edition which requires a duel plane (whatever that is)
I've done the bios, disable cool&quiet etc don't think I can post screen shots I have them on a usb

(the following is just my opinion, of course, as it is fairly damning)

The staff at Vi Box however will not seem to accept this and state that as the AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor shows 803 Mhz x 4 (cores) it means 803 multiplied by 4 = 3212 Mhz.

^
absolute lie

That means my 4.8Ghz 2600K is actually almost 20Ghz if that's true.
Or that PS1 was in fact 96 bit due to having 3 32bit processors.

:bs:

That's a shoddy company.

+1

Avoid like black plague. Build your own and buy from a more reputable source.
Clearly these people have no clue about mobo/cpu compatibility and rather than rectify their mistake
they are shooting BS at you that they themselves can't possibly believe. There's such a thing as utter incompetence on a corporate level but not THIS level. IMO they are lying to you outright.

If you can I'd return the entire system, then build your own from Scan.co.uk which we know to be reputable.

Last edited:
Yeah, the M2N32SLI-Deluxe was in failsafe mode with my 955 too... only thing you can try to do is use the MB's software to try and bump the multi every time you load into windows. downside is installing service packs, cause you are stuck with a 800mhz quad for the installs ><

I would return it for a refund, cause that is a load of BS. Personally, I bought a 900-series mobo today to actually be able to use my desktop again :D

Quick update, the company arranged collection & picked it up Thursday so we're waiting with baited breath to see what happens.
many thanks for all your comments.

Back