• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Mistake flashing 980 BIOS and the fix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Standingcow

Just wanted to make a thread on this in case others run into the issue and depend on tech support to help them.

I run 980s in SLI, the top card is a gigabyte G1 gaming (dumps heat in the case) and bottom is a blower style EVGA card. I had the displayport issue where monitors were going blank... changing the PCI mode in bios to GEN3 fixed this... but very rarely it still happens... so I am still updating the BIOS on the cards when new ones become available.

Anyway, EVGA sent me a new BIOS file with their modified version of NVflash... now my first mistake was not fully paying attention when hitting yes (second was not just removing the card I didn't want to flash), long story short I ended up flashing the EVGA bios to my gigabyte card (on both of the dual bios), games still ran fine but some benchmark programs were crashing... and I hate things not being correct on my system. I opened a ticket with gigabyte just to see what they said about this and before reading up I asked for a normal nvflash capable bios file.

So, the main reason I am making this thread is because of what gigabyte told me... they wanted me to RMA the card. Gigabyte's website puts out BIOS files with .PXX extensions instead of .ROM extensions, all you need to do is change their .PXX to .ROM then disabling the graphics card drivers in device manager, and finally use nvflash with your recently changed .ROM files, also since these are dual BIOS cards you want to follow their PDF (flashing once while plugged into the DD then restart while plugged into the DI DVI ports).

I don't know why manufacturers feel it necessary to try and make you use their software (in this case @BioS) and changing their BIOS extensions to only work with their programs... it only confuses things.

Back