• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mITX Z87 or Z97 for overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

Putting together an ITX build and will be using my 4690K which does 4.8 @ 1.275 on a Z87M Gaming. I'd like an ITX board which will do (at least) the same.

My short list:

Asus Z87 Impact - $164

Asus Z97 Impact - $180

EVGA Z97 Stinger - $100

Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac - ~$100

Asus Z87I-Deluxe - $150

I'm leaning toward the Stinger as it jumps out in terms of value, but I can't find much on it in the way of reviews/positive user experience.

Any advice on which of these will get me what I want for as little money as possible?

Thanks!

Node 304

I'll be cooling with either an H80i GT or a Cryorig R1 Ultimate (I have the H80, but I haven't decided yet).

Node 304

I'll be cooling with either an H80i GT or a Cryorig R1 Ultimate (I have the H80, but I haven't decided yet).

Was going to say that you can actually squeeze an mATX into a Hadron if you remove the drive bays, if you were going that route.

IIRC the Z97 Stinger is a solid board.
I know the Z97e-ITX/ac is, I run one.

I considered the Hadron, but I've been wanting to do a build in the Node for a while now and I'm a borderline Fractal fanboy haha, so figured I'd give it a try.

Have you OC'd on your Asrock? Notice any difference in capability between it and larger boards? I'd just hate to be board-limited when I have a nice chip.

I considered the Hadron, but I've been wanting to do a build in the Node for a while now and I'm a borderline Fractal fanboy haha, so figured I'd give it a try.

Have you OC'd on your Asrock? Notice any difference in capability between it and larger boards? I'd just hate to be board-limited when I have a nice chip.

I haven't done very much OCing on it, but it's a solid board.
The VRM is a good quality and isn't a gimped number of phases compared to a lot of ITX boards. It's also heatsinked.
You might end up one multi lower, but I'd be surprised. It should hold up to any typical Haswell/DC overclock for 24/7.

Woot! Picked up a Z87 Impact for $105 used.

I'll report back in a few weeks on how it performed :thup:

Yes, I was quite pleased :) Now, was it worth the many hours I spent looking??? Debatable ;)

Back