• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixed CPUZ Readings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bassnut

Premium Member
I really haven't had allot of time to play with my chip the last while but managed to find some recently. Today I was trying to validate an OC and CPUZ said I needed to update to the latest version. No problem though the readings I get with it 1.61 are completely different then what I was getting in the older version 1.58.7 as well as what is shown in PC Wizzard and my bios to boot.

Any ideas why ..... suggested fixes?

Attachments

• cpuz.jpg
    cpuz.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 63
The difference between versions looks like a rounding or precision difference. Very minimal.

With a difference of about 115 MHZ between them I was surprised there was that much difference. Has anyone else seen this much of a difference?

I stand corrected. Checked out my bios settings again and noticed that this matched with the new CPUZ readings. Wierd as my target settings were for 4600MHZ but the cpu is running at 4717MHZ. Wierd as I have never seen this before though this will explain my higher than expected cpu temps. and a good 2000MHZ better then my previouse best.

You were right RGone ster the my board did like the new bios ........ :salute:

Thanks for the reply thideras.

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    bios.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 48
There is a difference because you have the bus speed set to 230 (4600 MHz), but the actual speed is 236.7 (4734 MHz).

If you overclock from Windows, for Core Temp to register the changes, you have to go to Options --> Settings --> Advanced and check "On the fly FSB detection".

No all Oc'ing has always been straight from the bios. I know about and understand rounding or precision difference I have never seen it this far off. I agree it is a minor thing I just found it odd is all.

Yo "bassnut", I am still waiting on PileDriver before jumping on the ROG CHV board. Glad the bios worked well. Here is what I see.

Shown in post #4, in the ROG Advanced mode graphic capture is > Load Extreme OC Profile and that means the board/bios is overclocking the processor in the background and your Target CPU Speed is exceeded by whatever amount the "Load Extreme OC Profile" is clocking in the background.

Also shown is Ai Overclock Tuner which you have set to D.O.C.P. which on the surface should only be dealing with the 'memory' frequency and timings, but since they now have it listed under Ai Overclock Tuner, it may well have more to do with things than just the memory.

So in other words you are not doing a pure manual overclock of the board from the bios but have the board doing certain amounts of Auto Overclock from bios settings.

Yo "bassnut", I am still waiting on PileDriver before jumping on the ROG CHV board. Glad the bios worked well. Here is what I see.

Shown in post #4, in the ROG Advanced mode graphic capture is > Load Extreme OC Profile and that means the board/bios is overclocking the processor in the background and your Target CPU Speed is exceeded by whatever amount the "Load Extreme OC Profile" is clocking in the background.

Also shown is Ai Overclock Tuner which you have set to D.O.C.P. which on the surface should only be dealing with the 'memory' frequency and timings, but since they now have it listed under Ai Overclock Tuner, it may well have more to do with things than just the memory.

So in other words you are not doing a pure manual overclock of the board from the bios but have the board doing certain amounts of Auto Overclock from bios settings.

Thought you had something there but I never activated the load extream profile ..... below is a screen shot of load extream profile option. I did check it out and from what I seen it basicly changes a bunch of setings mostly with ram to allow you to use the larger 4+ gig sticks especially in the higher speed ram. I am sure there is more too it than that but I can tell you that it was not used with my OC. :shrug:

Attachments

• ExPro.jpg
    ExPro.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 46
Current CPU Speed in capture post #4 is 4717Mhz and Current Memory Frequency is 1840Mhz and Current NB and HT Link Speed are 2530Mhz.

I guess we will assume you have not changed any settings but oddly the capture in post #9 Shows Current CPU Speed as 4653Mhz, which is much closer to 230x20 Multiplier, however the Current CPU Speed has dropped 64mhz and yet the Memory, NB and HT link speeds have all kept their settings, which are a function of CPU Bus times a multiplier that is normally in even numbers of 6, 8, 10 and so forth up thru 12 I think.

I am totally at a loss to see how the CPU speed can change a full 64Mhz and all the other frequencies that are a factor of the CPU Bus speed have not changed.

The bios is setup to allow multiplier choices in 0.5 increments. 0.5x230FSB = 115Mhz so the drop of 64Mhz is not due to a drop in cpu multipier of 0.5.

Something in the background is clocking that cpu very oddly indeed. Not on a standard 0.5 multiplier and it would take a memory divisor of 8 and a loss of CPU Frequency number of 8 to total 64Mhz. And yet the other frequencies that would change with a change in CPU Frequency have remained the same from capture in post #4 to capture in post #9. So how can the overall cpu speed show a change?

Very odd is all I can say for sure.

Yes thats what I said as well I had noticed the difference before but it never clicked in my head till I had to change the CPUZ version I had. I did notice the difference as well in the last capture but when I got to my desktop to check CPUZ it still shows as 4717MHZ and 4616MHZ in PC Wizard, wPrime 2.09 and Core temp as well. I dont have the older version of CPUZ anymore on that computer but I probably have it on backup somewhere I'll check tomorrow at some time once it gets too hot to work outside they are talking about 93 - 95*F tomorrow plus humidity might be a good day to sit it out in the basment and dig into this in a bit.

Though whatever is doing it has not hurt my stability at all and may have helped though with the temps going back up I dont dare try and push it more right now as my temps were pushing well over 60*C when I ran prime overnight that was with an ambient of about 75 - 80*F. I might have to move that system back down stairs here tomorrow where its cooler.

Back