• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing cards for SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAmMoen

I just bought a xfx 7900gs and I am wondering if I were to sli later would I need to get the exact same model number from xfx? Or would I be able to get any of the 7900gs'?

as long as they have the same specs, they should work. I have a PNY 7600gt and a eVGA 7600gt running in SLI fine.

This used to be a problem, but I think after the 8x.00 series of drivers it fixed this problem. ;)

As long as it's the same model (same specs) there's no prob, you can mix up differents cards say, an asus 7900gs, with an xfx 7900gs. Hovever, the fact that it is called the same dosen't meen that the card is actually the same... GPU clocks can change, but that is not a big problem, as you can either oc one and/or or underclock the other to find the right middle speed. The memory clock can differ too, worst even memory generation can be different and that's not good... But with the 7900 series, there is no such problem, as all the vendors seem to use DDR3 with more or less the same speeds. Again if the speeds differ, just oc and/or uc and make them meet somewhere in the midle...

I think that it would work any way (even with different clocks) but I'm afraid that the lowest one would be used for both...

The only thing you might run in to, is different brand might have a slightly different memory timings, instead of 4.4.4.12, it could be 4.2.5.12.

And you can easily solve that by flashing both cards with the same BIOS from one of the cards. This way both cards should run as close to each other as possible, as long as they have same exact brand RAM.

Back