• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing different ram brands

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

Hey guys I have 4 free ram slots on my board ddr3 . I have 2 sticks of the crucial baltix sport 1600 mhz 4gb each in dual channel. I ordered a ripjaw 1600 mhz 4 gb pair just now . The frequency and the capacity are exactly the same. Will I have problems. Will they work optimally

Are the timing and voltage also identical?

Ideally you would never use sets of ram that weren't identical.

I agree with Janus, it's never a good idea mixing and matching. That also doesn't mean they will not work together, they may just plug and play just fine or need a bit of tweaking to get them to run correctly if at all.

I agree with Janus, it's never a good idea mixing and matching. That also doesn't mean they will not work together, they may just plug and play just fine or need a bit of tweaking to get them to run correctly if at all.
Exactly. For the greatest chance of that working, the voltage and primary timings should be the same... then it only leaves secondary and tertiary timings to be close enough, lol.

Working optimally is another story because if the timings are different, the tighter sticks likely need to loosen up to match the looser stick. Now, will you notice, likely not, but it's not optimal.

Mixing and matching ram is never recommended, however.

Hmm i will wait for the ram sticks to get here and will test them . if i run into any problems i,ll remove my current crucial sticks and buy another pair of G skill sticks

Hmm i will wait for the ram sticks to get here and will test them . if i run into any problems i,ll remove my current crucial sticks and buy another pair of G skill sticks

It's not the brand that matters, it's matching the IC's.

It's not the brand that matters, it's matching the IC's.

Ok I will compare apples to apples . Here are the specs of my current ram
DRAM FREQUENCY 800 mhz
FSB DRAM 1:6
CL 9
TRFC 128 , CYCLE TIME 24

- - - Updated - - -

and this is the new ram
DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cas Latency
Timing
9-9-9-24-2N
Voltage
1.5V

Mike, that info doesn't give the whole picture. Even if you had 2 different sets of G Skill ram for example. They could have have two different manufactured Ic's in them, such as Nanya and Elpida even with the exact same timings. Again it doesn't mean they will not work together but it also doesn't mean they will. That's why when buying ram it's always recommended to buy it as a complete kit.

Mike, that info doesn't give the whole picture. Even if you had 2 different sets of G Skill ram for example. They could have have two different manufactured Ic's in them, such as Nanya and Elpida even with the exact same timings. Again it doesn't mean they will not work together but it also doesn't mean they will. That's why when buying ram it's always recommended to buy it as a complete kit.

There is nothing i could do at this point but wait

Ok guys I recieved the new ram . Will post results soon

What do these numbers mean
bandicam 2015-04-10 18-21-26-792.jpg bandicam 2015-04-10 18-21-28-844.jpg bandicam 2015-04-10 18-21-38-696.jpg

Mike can you add a signature, with your Pc and components please. It is a helpful coourtesy so we know exactly what we are dealing with when trying to help you. Thanks.

Sure

With that MAXIMUS VI HERO motherboard, you should have no problem on getting them to work together.

I have a EK Ram water block($50 for 4 slot cooler) and EK Ram spreaders for water cooling ($25 per pair).
I have 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 water cooled ( CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B ) 9-9-9-24
I have been able to OC them to DDR3 2104 @ 9-11-9-27, so there is a tangible reason for cooling your memory.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading My Post.
Can you walk me through over clocking. I'd be happy with 1800 mhz . I selected xmp and dram frequency of 1800 . But it crashes in windows and in memtest it instantly fails

Last edited by a moderator:
SPD tab is it's different ratings (what it can run at) while the memory tab is what it is running currently. The cache is just that, your cpu cache.

I have found no errors on the first two passes but then have found them on test 3.

That would be plenty[/QUOTE
From the pictures I posted. Do you see any reason why I would lose performance due to different brands pleasetell me if anything needs to be changed
p.s my memory score on w7 went from 7.9 to 7.8

Last edited:
Click on slot #2 in the spd tab in Cpu-Z so we can see the timing profiles for the set of G. Skill sticks.

p.s my memory score on w7 went from 7.9 to 7.8
Pay no attention to that Windows score it's a useless performance test.

Well if you have no errors where it is set then you're good to go, if you have errors or issues, you should try setting the timings to 25 and 37.

Well did you have errors? If you did then you need to change the timings in the BIOS. Also can you add a signature to your posts so we can see what components we are dealing with? Thanks.

Back