• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mixing memory sticks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Juan71287

Hi all. I am wondering if you can mix and match memory sticks? I Googled and found you can as long as they are the same speeds and same CL (whatever that is). Still, I want the answer from an expert here :) I could buy the same one, but I am trying to get it as cheap as possible right now cause I have no money and running low on memory.

What I have right now: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2666C15D-16GVS

What I cant get: 16GB (4x4GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Memory F4-2666C15Q-16GRR

Thanks.

Mixing and matching is a crapshoot if it will work. I dont know what the board will do with six sticks as it is a quad channel platform (you are running in dual channel with two sticks). It will likely be in hybrd mode where, when put in the right slots (read manual for which ones), the 4 sticks will run quad and the other two dual.

Its never a good idea honestly. Id bite the bullet and either go new 4x8gb and sell your 2x8, or get the matching 2x8gb set.

Understood :). Always a pleasure to get a reply from you :). I will see if I can get the other 2.

It worked for me :D
Elpida 1067 1gb 3 sticks and
Xms3 1333 2gb 2 sticks.
I ran them 1100..something mhz with easy timings and they were passing prime 24hrs blend. Some may cringe on this combo, but hey.. It worked!!!

I have mixed and matched speeds, CL, etc. (Admittedly on an old AM3 platform) and the Asus mobo just downclocked all of them to the slowest stick's specs.

edit: Found it! Even got a fair OC on a notoriously difficult chip with mismatched RAM.
ram.JPG

Last edited:
Usually motherboards are using first slots to read memory speed. On some older motherboards you had to put lower capacity modules in first slots. Except that there are no special rules and if you won't set frequency above any of the module limits then all should work fine.

Back