• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing ram with OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnahh

Hey guys,

I have an i5 760 OC'ed to 3.4ghz. atm i have some mushkin blackline ram installed - http://www.mushkin.com/Memory/Blackline/991995.aspx
its a 4gb stick of 1600mhz. i am wondering if i should add my PNY RAM which is another 4gb stick of 1333mhz ram. will this make the OC unstable? reduce or improve performance for gaming and streaming?

Thanks

It's not guaranteed that 2 different IC will work together without issues however in most cases there are no problems.
If PNY is only 1 stick and Mushkin is 1 stick then dual channel even on 1333MHz for sure will make it faster.
If you already have PNY then just try it yourself. If you want to run both at higher clock than 1333 then just set higher memory voltage ( up to 1.60-1.65V should be enough ).

thanks for the reply,
ive put the ram in and it seems to be fine atm. im going to leave prime95 on for an hour to check stability, is there any other programs to use to test or should this be sufficient?

thanks for the reply,
ive put the ram in and it seems to be fine atm. im going to leave prime95 on for an hour to check stability, is there any other programs to use to test or should this be sufficient?

Memtest86 is definitly a better bet here-- The order Prime orders the length of its thread strings ensures that your processor and voltage settings get rooted out first-- the first 30 minutes are only lightly indicative of RAM stability (Basically means your computer will be fine under some / most circumstances). Only after that will you really see what impact your settings have on your RAM's stability / lack of errors.

Memtest will rape your RAM, which is what you want in this case! Also, get MaxxMem Preview and post your benchmarks here! I could probably help you squeeze a lot more out of your ram on the Intel Platform-

Prime95/blend test is better just because it's testing also memory controller load not only memory stability. You can of course run memtest86+ as it's good tool but it won't load memory controller as much as Prime95 or some other windows programs.
Next good memory testing soft if Intel Burn Test runned at ~95%+ your free memory.

I see you have ~1300MHz 9-9-9-24. I think you can make it run at higher memory ratio and 9-9-9-24 timings , memory voltage up to 1.65V ( maybe it will run at 1.55V or 1.60V, hard to say ). If you want faster memory then try this setting.

Prime95/blend test is better just because it's testing also memory controller load not only memory stability. You can of course run memtest86+ as it's good tool but it won't load memory controller as much as Prime95 or some other windows programs.
Next good memory testing soft if Intel Burn Test runned at ~95%+ your free memory.

I see you have ~1300MHz 9-9-9-24. I think you can make it run at higher memory ratio and 9-9-9-24 timings , memory voltage up to 1.65V ( maybe it will run at 1.55V or 1.60V, hard to say ). If you want faster memory then try this setting.

My only issue with prime is the time it takes to really put the tax on your RAM (Using blend torture testing of course).

I suppose you can manually set more favorible settings for beating down your RAM, but the standard isn't a very good indiciation until after an hour (A mark the OP isn't quite making)

I guess you have to run hours to ensure true stability anyways, though.

Memtest was all good, so everything seems stable 1h of prime + memtest.

Back