• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocked i5-750 vs i3-4160

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

musahssi

Hi,
my friend have just given me his old pc (which have busted gpu) and now I'm wondering if I should switch some components with my system.

My Rig:
CPU: i3 4160
MOBO: msi h81m-p33
RAM: 8 gb ( 2 x 4gb) 2400mhz ddr3 Kingston Hyper x Savage (which is working at 1600mhz because it can't oc on this platform)
GPU: gtx 760 2gb
GrjftoH.jpg

His Rig:
CPU: i5 750
MOBO: asus p7p55d pro
RAM: 6 gb ( 3 x 2gb) 1600mhz CORSAIR XMS3
cnGB4sY.jpg

So I was wondering if there is point in putting RAM and GPU from MY RIG into HIS.
That way would be possible to OC the CPU and RAM.
My question here is, what frequencies can be expected to reach on that CPU and RAM?
Also at end would that resulted in better fps in games than my rig with i3?

Why not just overclock the i5-750 and see what you get? You might not get much more out of the RAM though. If you are lucky you can get 4.0GHz out of the i5, buy it may actually be slower than the i3-4160 because the 4th gen chip has greater IPC.

Just try it out and see. I think you won't see much difference in games, but you might on other things. If you have a few bucks go to eBay and pick up an X3450 for about $25. This gets you into the 4GHz range with 4 cores and hyperthreading. But first I would try it with the i5-750 and see what you get.

Why not just overclock the i5-750 and see what you get?

Just try it out and see. I think you won't see much difference in games, but you might on other things. If you have a few bucks go to eBay and pick up an X3450 for about $25. This gets you into the 4GHz range with 4 cores and hyperthreading. But first I would try it with the i5-750 and see what you get.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I have no previous experience in cpu overclocking. :D But I always wanted to try and this seems like great opportunity.

Yeah, Xenon was on my mind too. Found X3440 for $30 on ebay. Higher models are more expensive.

I will do as you said. Firstly OC that i5 and RAM, and see what performance I get. If everything goes well, I'll order xenon.

Thx for answer. Can post progress here if anyone is interested.

You probably won't get much more than 1600 out of the RAM so overclock the CPU first. I suggest you play with the i5-75 first as you may be satisfied without having to pay the Xeon.
With the i5-750, pay attention to heat and don't let it get over 85c. Don't go over 1.4 vcore.

Make sure the CPU cooler fins are free of dust.

Programs you will need.

CPU-Z - will tell you all kinds of things about your CPU, speed, vcore, memory, etc
Real Temp (monitors CPU temp only)
HWInfo64 - Monitors pretty much everything in the system. Run it in Sensor Only mode to only monitor sensors.
MSI Afterburner - This comes with Riva Tuner Statistics Server. With this you can pretty much monitor anything you like with an OSD that can be toggled On/Off in game.
IBT (Intel Burn Test) - Will help test for stability and cooling efficiency.

That is for starters. And YES please post back your progress. I rather enjoy messing around with old systems and always have at least one besides my main machine.

And finally, welcome to the forums! :D

You probably won't get much more than 1600 out of the RAM

Firstly, thanks for the welcoming and for the tips. =)

Why you doubt that ram wont OC over stock 1600mhz?
RAM I'll be using is rated at 2400mhz and in mobo specs 2200mhz is listed as highest supported speed.

Firstly, thanks for the welcoming and for the tips. =)

Why you doubt that ram wont OC over stock 1600mhz?
RAM I'll be using is rated at 2400mhz and in mobo specs 2200mhz is listed as highest supported speed.

The IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) may not be able to handle it. Here is a general guide for overclocking that includes your Lynnfield CPU.
http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

This guy got 4.4GHz on air with the i5-750
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/645849-i5-750-4-4ghz-24-7-on-air

Back