• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing ram!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I have issues that i would like to try and solve with both my mining rigs.

I seem to be hitting a wall on my hash rates, and therefore want to try getting more ram.

My problem is that i am sitting in a situation where i want to stop spending money on the rigs, but i need them optimzed.

One rig is running 2x 2gb 1333mhz sticks @ 1066 (CPU limit)
the other is running 2x 4gb 1333mhz sticks @ 1066 (CPU limit)

With my lastest build of mainly 280x cards, i found that 4Gb would cause big issues with anything over 4 cards, once 8gb was added, that went away.

The other rig has always run great with only 4gb, but both have a type hash rate limit.

What i am getting at, is that i want to buy 1x 8Gb stick, and repalce on of the 4gb sticks, giving me 12gb on that motherboard, and then having the 4gb stick in with the other rig, giving that rig 6Gb.

Since non of the stick will ever run above the 1066mhz while in these rigs, will i get issues with mixing sticks this way? Or will it work like i intend it to?

I would make sure you keep using dual channel though, its quite a performance boost (and I assume it would help with mining as well).

As long as the timings/voltages are the same on all the sticks there shouldn't be any problems. Go for it.

Thats the thing. I would have to buy a 1600mhz 8gb stick, but it would still be 1066 limited, so it would run same speed as the other stick any way.

All sticks should be 1.5v

Last edited:
You should have no problems... But, I recommend setting the memory up manually to avoid any issues with SPD.

You have to remember, im running on an H61 motherboard.

Trust me, i been threw the bios, i dont get overclocking settings, i do get a value setting for the ram, with 1066 being the maximum. I use to have the same problem when running i5 2400S on a B75 motherboard, could only go in preset steps on the non Z motherboards.

The motherboard it selv will take above the 1066, but as long as the Celeron CPU is running it, im stuck with 1066 as the max, and i wont change CPU.

If the mobo won't do it, then yes, you are stuck, but the CPU will do it.

Anyway, I see now why you need that.

Yeah, no clue how the lack of dual channel would affect performance. It seems to use a lot of ram, but, just not sure if the bandwidth is needed or not...

Yeah, no clue how the lack of dual channel would affect performance. It seems to use a lot of ram, but, just not sure if the bandwidth is needed or not...

That i do not know, but i do know that the 2 4gb stick running ATM are not identical, they are both Kingston 1333, but different models. They work fine.

That i do not know, but i do know that the 2 4gb stick running ATM are not identical, they are both Kingston 1333, but different models. They work fine.

What Joe is saying is what I said. The lack of dual-channel might hurt you, even though you increase in amount.

Back