• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing rams in my build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pprajaa

Registered
I am planning to upgrade ram in my current build. Since my H212 cooler is blocking one of the Ram Slots, I have to use a low profile ram

I am currently using this ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468&name=Desktop-Memory
Timing 11-11-11-30

I am planning to use this ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231552&name=Desktop-Memory
Timing 11-11-11
or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231554&name=Desktop-Memory
Timing 9-11-10

Will the new ram work along with the existing rams? Which of the above i should go for?

My config is

Intel - 3570 K
AsRock Z77 extreme6 mother board
H-212 cpu cooler
Safire HD7870 OC Graphics car
Intel 330 60 GB SSD
Segate 1 TB harddisk
Asus Internal Blu ray Writer
Antec EA 750 PSU

While it's usually recommended to use matching RAM it's not always necessary. I would go with the 11-11-11 ram as there is no reason to buy the stuff with tighter timings since the set you have doesn't.

While it's usually recommended to use matching RAM it's not always necessary. I would go with the 11-11-11 ram as there is no reason to buy the stuff with tighter timings since the set you have doesn't.

Are you sure? Since I am in India, I have to order from US. Kindly confirm.

There is now way to be 100% sure they will work together without trying but I've never had any issues in the past doing it even with 2 sets that had very different specs and memory IC's. You just need to make sure the speed, timings and voltages are set for the slowest of the sets which the first set matches your current specs so there is no issue there.

There is now way to be 100% sure they will work together without trying but I've never had any issues in the past doing it even with 2 sets that had very different specs and memory IC's. You just need to make sure the speed, timings and voltages are set for the slowest of the sets which the first set matches your current specs so there is no issue there.

Thanks a lot.. Will go ahead and order. But have to wait till my friend comes from US.

Last edited:
Brands are unimportant so long as the new ram has the same exact timings/voltages, they will work.

Problems arise when mixing ram with different timings/voltages.

Brands are unimportant so long as the new ram has the same exact timings/voltages, they will work.

Wow, really? I learned something new today. I thought the manufacuturers did something different to each of their RAMs to make it different... Good to know, although it makes sense considering they seem to be the most compatible of all of the components of a computer...

+1

Its still better to use exact same ram. Mixing can still work flawlessly.

Theoretically this is correct but isn't some ram not really compatible with all motherboards? Even though they are rated the same one may not be able to run at listed timing.

Even ram with the same main timings can have different sub timings and different IC = different sub timings. However board will probably read SPD from memory in 1st slot and will set the same timings to all sticks. As long as all will be able to run at the same settings then all will be fine ( even mixing all different sticks ).
From list in 1st post I would take orange ARES kit. All listed are Hynix based on similar IC so there shouldn't be any problem. Blue ARES has almost the same chips but are generally clocking a bit higher than orange kit ( and also cost more ).
You can probably run 11-11-11 kits as 2133 10-11-10 or 9-11-10 setting 1.65V.

Back