• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MN31N doesn't have soundstorm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The MN31N uses the IGP & MCP-T chipset, the MCP-T contains the Soundstorm audio using the Realtek ALC650 as the interface. The reason that the MN31N is not "Certified" is that it does not have separate jacks for the 6 channel sound and SPDIF In\Out, these are provided for with extra headers on the MoBo but as they don't have the extra audio jacks like the NF7-S its not considered "Certified". The audio itself will sound the same, the Soundstorm software and controls are the same and because its not "Certified" they don't have to pay the extra licensing fees to nVidia which would inflate the price of the MoBo. I've noticed a difference in the sound in games between my boards, my 2 x MN31Ns play all games with great sound and no issues and my AN35N Ultra needed my SBL to play BF1942\D.C. properly. If you were a real audiophile with your MoBo plugged into a digital reciever with a high quality surround sound speaker system I think you'd easily hear the difference between the ALC650 of the AN35N & the Soundstorm of the MN31N. Also remember the ALC650 by itself has up to 16% CPU utilization while running EAX codecs in games but when used with the MCP-T (Soundstorm) it has less than 5%.

Regards, Balrog

I have a creative SB live 5.1 card in my stepdad's old compaq, and it sounds crappier than the mn31n or the an35n. I guess it is due to the speakers. The best are on the an35n, an old pair of altec lansings are on my mn31n, and some crappy compaq speakers are on the compaq.

So what you are saying is that the speakers would have to be good for me to tell, and also it is mostly just cpu utilization.

I'm getting an epox 8rda+ next week to replace my mn31n, but it won't take over untill I can get a decent graphics card better than a voodoo3. I was getting scared that it didn't have soundstorm.

Too bad a HTPC needs a good tv....

I got the video card off of newegg refurbed. TI4200 3.5ns. $53.

I'll keep the mn31n for a while still, but it will be put down to a 2100+ and have the old kingston 189 fsb ram, unless I don't have enough money to finish off my new computer.

Don't worry Balrog, I'll still have a couple of an35n ultras buzzing around the house.

Back