• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EXPIRED Mobil 1 synthetic oil $17 rebate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxfly

for those that change their own oil with mobil 1 this is a saaaweet rebate. ive been using mobil 1 forever it seems. its really good stuff. i buy the 5 gal jug and use a mobil 1 filter anyhow! there are more rebates as well.
https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions

theres also a $10 gift certificate promotion through walmart at the bottom of the page. buy a 5qt jug or get your oil changed at walmart. niiice!

Last edited:
I do 0w20...pickup takes 8 quarts:nuts: dam:D

That's nothing, I know a guy who's motorhome takes 24 quarts of 15w-40.It like a 200$ oil change. And the generator takes a 4quarts of the same oil. His last truck was about the same.

Last edited:
Well my uncle's late Chevy (r.i.p.) only took like 5 or 6 and it was a 3/4 ton puckup

my 92 sierra 3/4 ton with 5.7l took 5qts so it was a perfect match to the 5qt jugs o oil. my 98 silverado 3/4 ton with a 7.2l 454 took 7qts! i was able to find a sweet deal on mobil 1 extended performance oil filters for a whopping $3 a filter (eol). so i bought like 30 of em (rockauto rules). that helped alot in bringing the cost per change down with that beast. regular price for the mobil 1 filters were $10-$15. havent been able to find any good deals on filters for my car tho. my little ford fusion 3.5l v6 takes 6 friggin qts !?! so i still have to buy 10qts once every 5th change or spend $10 for a single qt each change bleh. im thinking about going with the 20,000 mile oil change after this one. already have 5qts to use up first. i only put 4-5,000 a year on my car so i could go 4-5 years with no oil change! haha if only.

well could be worse, if you own a duce-and-a half. if i recall right they take somewhere like 2-4 gallons of oil plus 2 really big oil filters.

Oil gets dirty. And short trips create acids when the engine doesn't run long enough to burn off the condensation in the block. That etches bearings and cylinder walls, shortening engine life. I wouldn't go 10k miles between changes no matter what oil I used, including the oil I did use, Royal Purple. I have never seen an engine fail because the oil was too clean. :D

going to head to walmart this afternoon and pick up another full synthetic 5w20 jug o oil and filter. will update once i enter the rebate.

sigh it ended on the 31st...no rebate for me :(

Last edited:
4.6 v8 here. Takes 8qts. I do full synthetic, good for 10k miles.

10k ? What you running for oil, 5k should be the max for anything, even something like Royal Purple.

I'm running a ford 1.9l CVH here. 4qts of Motorcraft 5w-20 even though its calls for 5w-30.
It runs and starts on cold days a lot better with 5w-20, but I have to change it every 1.5k to 2k miles at its gets to thin to lube the engine.
Its a tick faster and gets better MPG with 5w-20. Nothing like a 80s sports car that gets better MPG then a new Prius. But sadly a Prius is faster.

I do mobil1 synthetic 0w20. It's good for 10k miles. Vehicle manual says regular oil 5k, synthetic 10k. It doesn't look bad at all with that interval. Motor pulls great no smoke. 90k miles.

She's a 2010 tundra. I did a gentle break in first few thousand miles and smiith driving after that. Even warm her up every time before trips.(yes even in summer):D she loves her taco

Not everything the manufacturer says is a good thing. Remember who's the one selling you the car in the first place.

After so many miles the oil will get thinner and dirtier, then it will get thicker and leave muck and slime inside your engine.

This is what happens to a Toyota JZ engine if you do 10k oil changes
View attachment 199232

Last edited:
Probably says ok for 25k, but not recommended..

I looked it up, you have to use an oil rated for 20k miles.
I'm not sold on it. But if they rate it for that long then It should last that long. How well it holds up is anther thing.

Also anyone remember way back in the day using TP inplace of an oil filter?

Last edited:
Yep, back in the day oil filters did not do a good job with the smaller particles. The idea was that using a roll of TP would address that problem.

Oh, well that's right up the taco alley! I would totally do it!
In fact, be right back....

Back