• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobile processing power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssprncvegeta

i forget what are the names of the mobile processors; i've seen the athlon XP m, intel centrino, pentium 4m, i think i've heard of prescott m, and athlon 64m. in this month's issue of PC Gamer magazine, it shows two high-end laptops with intel pentium 4 extreme edition processors in them. is that the desktop cpu in it? they seem nice but the laptops come out to some $4000-5000 and i don't to spend THAT much, something like $3500 or less. i'll be using this for college and for gaming. so...

what's the best laptop processor?

what's the best laptop video card (i think i've seen 9700m 256mb)?

The AMD64 Mobile is the fastest mobile processor, and the fastest mobile video chipset is the mobile "9700" -- which is actually an overclocked mobile 9600 and does not actually have eight rendering pipelines like the name would suggest.

If we were talking about desktop processors, then sure a laptop with a 3.4EE wedged into would be faster. But since we're talking about mobile processors with total battery life in excess of 60 minutes at full power, the AMD64 is gonna win :p

If you are going to keep it hooked up to a plug all day, then the p4EE would be the faster, but if you are going to use it as a laptop and do gaming on the side I would go for the A64.

90 minutes? And you're saying not bad?!? Playing games on a laptop is one thing, but killing your battery to play a game on a flight from Kansas City to Chicago is embarassing...

I played Unreal Tournament 2K3 for my first flight, surfed the web wirelessly at my stopover point, and played my SNES emulator on the second flight and still had enough battery power to surf the web again at my final destination waiting for my ride. That's somewhere around five hours of life, I'm using an IBM Thinkpad R50 with the 1.4ghz Pentium M / Centrino setup. And all without burning a hole in my lap...

Compare that to ninety minutes and you can see why I really don't appreciate desktop processors wedged into laptops.

im not sure but i guess he was being a little sarcastic... and for an ee i wouldn't have even expected it to last that long.

stan03 said:
and for an ee i wouldn't have even expected it to last that long.
exactly. those things pump out tons of watts. it's a SERVER processor working on a LAPTOP. 1.5 hours seems like a while, although it's not great for mobileness, that's not the point. if there is a power source u can plug it in and play halo at decent framerates.

pentium 4m slow down when unplugged, and lower even further when reaching the end of its battery life.

i was thinking about an Alienware, since if you want to upgrade the graphics you can do it yourself and not have to pay to ship it to the maker and have them do it, the video card'd prolly cost more that way too..

You could always upgrade the cpu on a laptop. Do you think that the 3.4EE is really a good waste of money compared to the 3.2EE or just regular 3.4 or 3.2?

I would just wait for the Dothan 2GHz (755); it has 2MB cache and is based on the 90-nanometer process and will be introduced on the 9th of May.

Supposedly it will smoke Intel 3ghz + processors and anything AMD mobile can throw at it PLUS you can expect a battery life that other Intel and AMD chips can't even come close to. Right now regular P M's @ 1.7 compare directly to 3Ghz Intel CPU so I wonder what 2ghz w/ new tech will do.

Personally I would like a 1.5Ghz Dothan Low Volt or a 1.2Ghz Ultra Low Volt in my laptop since it only uses 7 watts! LoL I bet you could get 12 hours of battery time out of these especially when Intel combines them with the ultra low volt LCD screen tech that Intel has invested in and which is ready for mass production.

Some links:

Dothan: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15176

LCD tech: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15109

Back