• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobiles or desktop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rilian

Are any chips on the XP line other than the mobiles factory unlocked at the moment?

all desktop XPs before week 39 of 03 are unlocked, if you want an unlocked barton get a mobile.

The mobiles are selected for lower voltages, (to preserve power in laptops)

those lower voltages give you more options of oc'ing - the chip runs cooler and the vcore can be bumped more (in %)

Sjaak said:
those lower voltages give you more options of oc'ing - the chip runs cooler and the vcore can be bumped more (in %)

Why's that?
Afaik the mobile- bartons are just selected desktop- bartons which can run at 1,45V- the limit of VCore is the same to me.

As it wasn't mentioned yet, you can mod every locked barton out there to a mobile- giving you free multis

well 1 reason I ask is because a friend of mine is planning on a build and he was gonna get an Athlon XP 2200+ I told him if I was gonna replace the chip for my system Id choose the Athlon XP 2500+ mobiles because I thought the XP line was factory locked now? is this true?

K4mui said:
Why's that?
Afaik the mobile- bartons are just selected desktop- bartons which can run at 1,45V- the limit of VCore is the same to me.

As it wasn't mentioned yet, you can mod every locked barton out there to a mobile- giving you free multis

what i am saying is that you can increase the vcore more, in percentages you start lower, thereby you can increase more percentage-wise.

And AFAIK nobody succeeded in modding a locked Barton - correct me if im wrong

Sjaak said:
what i am saying is that you can increase the vcore more, in percentages you start lower, thereby you can increase more percentage-wise.
Ah, sure, now I got it

Sjaak said:
And AFAIK nobody succeeded in modding a locked Barton - correct me if im wrong
You are wrong ;)

Click! Have fun!

Back