• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo for Phenom II X4 965 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gojmgo

Hi everyone! I was wondering what might be my best motherboard option to pair with the following PC parts below:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Quad Core
Corsair 8GB 2x4GB DDR3-1600
• Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB
• Cooler Master 600W PSU

Unfortunately, These are the only cheap AM3/AM3+ mobo available at the store nearby:
MSI 760GM-P21 (FX) - € 42,90
Asus M5A78L-M-LX3 - € 42,90
MSI 760GM-P23-FX - € 43,50
ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2 - € 45,00
MSI 760GM-P34 (FX) - € 48,50

I'm currently in the process of building a budget gaming PC but I'm stuck at choosing a mobo. Thanks! :)

Not sure any of those listed motherboards are much good for overclocking at all. Cheap and available close to you, but good for overclocking? I doubt it really.

• MSI 760GM-P21 (FX) - € 42,90
• Asus M5A78L-M-LX3 - € 42,90
• MSI 760GM-P23-FX - € 43,50
• ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2 - € 45,00
• MSI 760GM-P34 (FX) - € 48,50

Hi everyone! I was wondering what might be my best motherboard option to pair with the following PC parts below:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Quad Core
Corsair 8GB 2x4GB DDR3-1600
• Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB
• Cooler Master 600W PSU

Unfortunately, These are the only cheap AM3/AM3+ mobo available at the store nearby:
MSI 760GM-P21 (FX) - € 42,90
Asus M5A78L-M-LX3 - € 42,90
MSI 760GM-P23-FX - € 43,50
ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2 - € 45,00
MSI 760GM-P34 (FX) - € 48,50

I'm currently in the process of building a budget gaming PC but I'm stuck at choosing a mobo. Thanks! :)

I've only ever worked with two of these-- The Asus M5A78L-M-LX3 is a pretty decent little board. None of these are really designed with heavy OC'ing in mind, but this one at least has a large array of options available for said purpose.

That is my suggestion if you can't drop a few more bucks for a board suitable for gaming rigs :shrug:

gojmgo, Is ordering a motherboard from an online vendor an option for you? It would be better to do that and wait a week or so for delivery than to get impatient and waste money on something that will not allow you to do what you want to do. To get a decent motherboard for overclocking you should expect to pay about $100 US online and you would have many more options than buying locally.

I would recommend the MSi 970a-g46 I am using it in my build with the same processor. It's great.

I would recommend the MSi 970a-g46 I am using it in my build with the same processor. It's great.
Is it good for overclocking? It's available in the store near us and it cost € 79,50

gojmgo, Is ordering a motherboard from an online vendor an option for you? It would be better to do that and wait a week or so for delivery than to get impatient and waste money on something that will not allow you to do what you want to do. To get a decent motherboard for overclocking you should expect to pay about $100 US online and you would have many more options than buying locally.

Unfortunately, ordering online is not feasible here in Italy. Btw Is this mobo good for overclocking? - ASUS M5A97 (Non EVO) 970 AM3+ ATX USB3 worth € 82,90.

I'm planning to overclock the Phenom II X4 965 BE up to 4ghz with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler.

Here are my other options:
List of all AM3/AM3+ motheboards available in the store
Select the Socket AM3/AM3+ on the left side of the site.

Thanks to everyone!! I appreciate every single suggestion and reply.

Last edited:
I have the Asus M5897 non Evo paired with the PII X4 955 and have it stable at 4.1 ghz. Really helps to put spot fans on the motherboard heatsinks. Good board.

I have the Asus M5897 non Evo paired with the PII X4 955 and have it stable at 4.1 ghz. Really helps to put spot fans on the motherboard heatsinks. Good board.
Do you recommend this board? How's the temp? Thank you.

Well if you going to OC your board you really need a board like these, why because it has 8+2 power phases and will easy help in OCing your set up! AJ.

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

2, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

Otherwise your going to waste your Euro's on something that will not do the job? :thup:

Thanks for the suggestions but the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 costs € 145,00 and it's out of my budget. I think I can afford the ASRock 970 Extreme 3 but it's only 4+1 as well.

The reason i picked these boards is the positive comments of the people that have OCed there set up using these same Mobo's. But as the OP you have to make a choice which you want to go with Trents or these. AJ.

I don't think you need an 8+2 power phase board to get a good overclock on a Phenom II 965. In fact, I overclocked a Thuban 960T to 4.0 ghz unlocked to six cores Prime95 stable on the M5897 non evo. I did add two spot fans to assist with cooling the VRM and NB heat sinks. Yes, I would recommend this board. Not a perfect board but pretty good for overclocking all but the high end bulldozer and piledrivers. I would definitely pick an Asus board over an MSI board in the same price range.

Is it good for overclocking? It's available in the store near us and it cost € 79,50

Unfortunately, ordering online is not feasible here in Italy. Btw Is this mobo good for overclocking? - ASUS M5A97 (Non EVO) 970 AM3+ ATX USB3 worth € 82,90.

I'm planning to overclock the Phenom II X4 965 BE up to 4ghz with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler.

Here are my other options:
List of all AM3/AM3+ motheboards available in the store
Select the Socket AM3/AM3+ on the left side of the site.

Thanks to everyone!! I appreciate every single suggestion and reply.

Yes it is, has a really nice ClickBIOS and looks very clean I got it because I have the choice to update to AM3+ in the future.

The reason i picked these boards is the positive comments of the people that have OCed there set up using these same Mobo's. But as the OP you have to make a choice which you want to go with Trents or these. AJ.

Thanks. I will probably just stick on what's available in the store nearby so I wouldn't worry about the shipping and RMA in case I get a doa mobo. :D

I don't think you need an 8+2 power phase board to get a good overclock on a Phenom II 965. In fact, I overclocked a Thuban 960T to 4.0 ghz unlocked to six cores Prime95 stable on the M5897 non evo. I did add two spot fans to assist with cooling the VRM and NB heat sinks. Yes, I would recommend this board. Not a perfect board but pretty good for overclocking all but the high end bulldozer and piledrivers. I would definitely pick an Asus board over an MSI board in the same price range.

That's all I need to know. Thank you so much for helping. :thup:

Yes it is, has a really nice ClickBIOS and looks very clean I got it because I have the choice to update to AM3+ in the future.

Thanks for sharing. I will buy the ASUS M5A97 on monday and report back.

I'm using a 955BE on a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H board and it overclocks nicely. The 970 chipset mobos are good and cheap, I use that on my 1090T (soon to be FX8320).

Don't bother with the 760's.

Back