• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X4 965 BE with ASUS m5a99fx pro 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxxAlpha71xxx

I was given a Phenom II x4 965 BE sitting on an Asus m5a99fx pro 2.0. I've been playing around with a min/max overclock. My original plan was to use AMD overdrive to play around with the settings to minimize having to reboot into the bios after every small change then when I was close to final settings clear everything out and move the settings over to the bios. However, even though everything is unlocked in the bios the only thing that's not greyed out in AMD Overdrive is the cpu multiplier; ht multiplier, CPU VID, and NB VID. HT Ref Clock and all other voltage settings are greyed out. Any ideas on how to unlock these AOD settings?

Make sure Turbo Core is off, along with C1E, C6, C7, C8 if it's there, and Cool and Quiet. You could also try an earlier version of AOD, but some motherboards don't have the necessary controls accessible by software in the OS.If you don't have it already, this is a good read on the subject https://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_Dragon_AM3_AM2_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf , along with this https://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf The FX guide uses a later version of AOD, and still has some Dragon platform info.

Use the Asus Ai suite overclocking program it's pretty good for figuring out the OC.

I was given a Phenom II x4 965 BE sitting on an Asus m5a99fx pro 2.0. I've been playing around with a min/max overclock. My original plan was to use AMD overdrive to play around with the settings to minimize having to reboot into the bios after every small change then when I was close to final settings clear everything out and move the settings over to the bios. However, even though everything is unlocked in the bios the only thing that's not greyed out in AMD Overdrive is the cpu multiplier; ht multiplier, CPU VID, and NB VID. HT Ref Clock and all other voltage settings are greyed out. Any ideas on how to unlock these AOD settings?

Thanks Alaric. I had all of that disabled in bios except for Turbo Core, which isn't an option anywhere in the bios that I can find. I grabbed a few earlier versions of AOD this evening and got the same thing on them as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Use the Asus Ai suite overclocking program it's pretty good for figuring out the OC.

Yeah, that would be optimal. However, the last version they released that I can find was for 8.1 and I'm running Win10. Did some googling and came up with some workarounds to get it to install on Win10 and it seems to be doing so in the background now. I'll let you know how it turns out!

nice little rig you were given, I have just retired my last 965, going to miss them, a ball to overclock!!!!!!!!!!
I built a little 965/m5a97 RIG for my mothers husband about 2 and a half years ago with a 2x120 all in one cooler on it.
the little sweetie has been running 4.2, 24/7 all this time, Flawlessly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice little rig you were given, I have just retired my last 965, going to miss them, a ball to overclock!!!!!!!!!!
I built a little 965/m5a97 RIG for my mothers husband about 2 and a half years ago with a 2x120 all in one cooler on it.
the little sweetie has been running 4.2, 24/7 all this time, Flawlessly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guy that gave it to me said something was wrong with the cpu because it was stuttering all the time. Once I put everything together I saw the temps were getting to 70C under light load and the cpu was down throttling. Pooped the heatsink off, cleaned and replaced the thermal paste and guess what, 33C under light load and no stuttering.

Thanks all! I got AI Suite to install after a few workarounds with some drivers and some dll files and it did an auto-tune of 4.0 with plenty of headroom for me to play around with. Now I just need to do some research on these Digi+ Power settings.

Thanks everyone. Got AI Suite to run and it did an auto clock of 4.0 first go around....and I have plenty of headroom left to play around with.

xxxAlpha71xxx, that is actually a pretty darn good setup if you don't have huge expectations for the system. It's not going to be as fast as the latest and greatest but the Phenom II chips are a heck of a lot of fun to Oc and play with. They are usually pretty tolerant of getting beat on. :D

It's actually kind of scaring me. When I first started playing with this 4.1 was as high as I could go and that was at 1.5VCore with temps of around 62C.

Then I found the Digi+ power control settings. I'm currently sitting at 4.1 @ 1.4Vcore with temps of around 45C. 4.0 was stable. 4.1 bugged out.

What do you guys use for stress testing? I'm using the ever present Prime95 but I just tried OCCT and it gave me the failure in about 2 minutes while Prime95 was stable for 30.

All depends on what you're using it for. I will use prime 95 or occt for 2 hours to confirm stability or Aida and real bench for 4 hours. Just make sure you watch your temps and you'll be fine. You'll top around around 62c but some times these PII chips will get a bit wonky around 55c.

play with the cpu/nb, NOT the north bridge, the CPU/NB, there can be small gains up around 3000, if you can get there.
most of mine have flaked out above 55c and over 1.55 on the vcore, hitting it with all the cold you can hit it with and the vcore below 1.6-1.64 is the name of the game.
drag it outside in the cold, that's always my favorite thing to do.
yes, the thing is very out of date and been left behind, but, it's still one of the most fun to clock.

Wow. Not sure what happened here. Was stress testing with OCCT. Stayed at computer for about 30 minutes, everything was good and stable. When I came back it had stopped 2 hours and 36 minutes in with a thermal error on Core #0.

I had it set to shut off if temps reached 62C. OCCT reported that temp on that core jumped to 126C but the graph doesn't show that at all. In addition, CPU was running at 4.1 with a 200 bus speed, which is where it ran for the 30 minutes I was at the computer and is what is reflected in the report. However it shows current clock speed at time of error as almost 4.7 with a bus speed of 228.

Any ideas what happened here? Why the bus speed would change like that over 2 hours into the run? Why it says that temp was 126C but graph never goes above around 56C? 2018-01-19-21h21-Temperature-Core #0.png

Like Scotty said it was a glitch, I've seen that 126C temp reading at times on all of my AMD boards.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's a glitch with the motherboard or whether OCCT sometimes gets a little drunk. I just watched OCCT reporting Core 0 at 47C, then drop to -57C and stay there. Meanwhile, I had HWMonitor running at the same time and it reporting nothing unusual with min/max temps from 32C-47C.

And I really feel the need for an "I need more power" reference here.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's a glitch with the motherboard or whether OCCT sometimes gets a little drunk. I just watched OCCT reporting Core 0 at 47C, then drop to -57C and stay there. Meanwhile, I had HWMonitor running at the same time and it reporting nothing unusual with min/max temps from 32C-47C.

And I really feel the need for an "I need more power" reference here.
It's possible Hw Monitor and Occt weren't playing nice with each other, giving you errant temp readings. As far as your reference to I need more power! You should be thinking I need more cooling! :D

Back