• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo sizes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mollymoo

As the name suggests I need to know about the size of mobos.
What size is a full atx mobo the one I have is about 9 1/2 inch by about 12 inch and I was wondering how much bigger they get and if you need a specific case to fit them ...... I look at mobos with space for 3 gpus and think that must be bigger than my mobo.
Reason I ask is im building a case and would like to ensure I can fit a larger m/b in if necessary :)

So as long as i'm buying an atx mobo i'll be fine they are all the same size :)
Here's the link for the ATX standard in *.pdf format. It includes drawings for standard ATX and mATX as well as screw/bolt placement, clearances, backplate dimensions, etc. :)
http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/atx2_2.pdf

BTW - Now that you've told everybody you're building a custom case we'll expect pics both in process and finished ...! :D

BTW - Now that you've told everybody you're building a custom case we'll expect pics both in process and finished ...! :D

I will post piccies as soon as I start building wont be for a couple of months whilst I research and refine but then it shall be done :)

Yes its an atx board not matx so I'll use it as a yard stick ......... just when I looked at some boards like with space for 3 gpu's they just looked larger ..... as long as they dont start using some strange new sized board I should be ok oh and my case is an old old coolermaster case which is why i'm building a new one :)

It is not entirely true that all full-size atx boards are the same size and all microtax boards are the same size. Some manufacturers take some liberty with the standards though it is probably true that the mounting hole pattern standards are maintained even if the dimensions of the pbx depart a little from the standards. When the boards do depart from the size standards it's usually not by much and usually doesn't prevent installation though it may make it a little snug in some areas. For instance, where the ram is in relationn to the drive bay tower or it may cause you to have to remove a case fan that is colliding with the cpu cooler fan. If you are making a custom case I would make it spacious enough to account for these slight variances and so as to make it easy to work inside of.

It will have a couple of inches all round spare to allow for any deviance and i suppose if in the future they deviate any more then I shall build a new case ............ I love projects like this ......... it's just explaining the cost to the missus :)

Know what you mean about clearing it with the missus!

Give us some pics when you are done.

Back