• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding Noctua P12 fans to be PWM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rfkrocktk

I bought a lot (7, actually) of Noctua P12s for my most recent build, and only realized the benefits of having PWM after they got here. Is there any way for me to mod them to support the additional PWM pin? I've heard of other people modding non-PWM fans to add the additional pin to make their fans run slower when idle.

Last edited:
I doubt you can modify the fans to PWM but there are ways to control them with PWM using a PWM adapter. Where are you loated on our big blue marble?

I know a guy in United Kingdom who makes adapters. But that's a long way from California.

Could someone explain to me why a company would do this? Seems like a waste of money to buy and enable an ability but leave out a part(s) to allow the end user to use this ability.

Or are there Fans that do have the part(s) and they are marked up in price? *edit*

Last edited:
Where are you loated on our big blue marble?
a14
k2.jpg

Could someone explain to me why a company would do this? Seems like a waste of money to buy and enable an ability but leave out a part(s) to allow the end user to use this ability.

Or are there Fans that do have the part(s) and they are marked up in price? *edit*
I've manufacturers do this on many different products over the years. Sometimes is planning ahead for future upgrades, sometimes it's a line of several models and they use same circuit board in all with different jumpers for different models. At a guess it's because they had the PWM circuit board/motor so just used it.
Where are you loated on our big blue marble?
a14
k2.jpg
If you are you asking OP he already said.

Where are you located on our big blue marble?

Back