• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modem not working in mandrake 9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

advanR

On every distro i have tried i get kppp to say " your modem does not respond". Its really annoying, and i would like to be able to use the internet. Nothing I fool with can get it to work. Please help.

thanks

Im sorry. Its an internal PCI US robotics v90 modem.

i am sure it is hardware, but now that i think about it it might not be.

its most likely a driver conflict or it needs to be enabled, Linux isnt as user friendly as windows by that i mean its not all plug and pray...sometimes even after it dectects things you still need to "turn them on" for example i run slackware linux and i had to enable the sound via some tricky console commands, it doesnt just "automatically work" like windows, which is bad for beginners.l I suggest going to www.linuxnewbie.org or .com dont remember...anyways i used to go there alot and they've always answered me quickly and accurately, good luck linux is awsome IF you wanna take the time to learn it, dont give up its a great OS.

i tried one of the nhf's from there. it seemed like it would fix it, but the "setserial" command it wanted me to use wouldnt work. command unknown.

Go to Linmodems for a TON of information on getting drivers if you have a winmodem. I'm linux stupid, yet I still got my modem working in linux. (Not implying you are stupid too, but i'm coming all the bases)

ok, i have a hardware modem. i found out i need to get a program called setserial. i got it. but i have no idea how to install it. its a tar.gz file. i can see that its an archive of files but dont know what to do with which ones.

edit: it is a makefile with source. has anyone ever installed this program?

Last edited:
Save yourself a LOT of trouble and get an external modem. I just got one for Linux and it was the same price as a pci.
If you have the installer software then suggest making directory /usr/local/source and placing the tar file there. Unpack in this directory and run makefile. There is normally an install instruction file that is included in the tar.

Back