• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modulated side panel power connection.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

Well, the connector on my side panel is going to change from the ATX connector I used in this thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=457990

I just got the cable from dad, which has the connectors needed for a LEMO coupler I've had lying around.. Here's some pix.

Here's the coupler. It's a surface mount component, which has a push pull disconnect connection from the back, and then another one at the front:
Picture%20260.jpg

Picture%20263.jpg

Picture%20264.jpg

This is the connector for the front, which has one key:
Picture%20265.jpg

Picture%20266.jpg

And this is the connector for the back, which has two keys:
Picture%20271.jpg

Picture%20274.jpg

These are those expensive LEMO connectors. Water tight seal around the back of the connector around the cable, clean room certified, precision machined chrome plated brass body, nickel plated brass latch, sleeve and mid pieces. :D :D

Can't wait to get this baby installed. ^_^

......Someone get Captain Slug a bucket....too much drool!!!!!!! ;)

The first step was to get the coupler onto the case. I decided to put it in the same spot as the old ATX plug was, so I didn't have an ugly hole on that divider.
Picture%20258.jpg

The folded edge of the sheet metal kept me from tightening the retaining nut against the case, causing it to wobble a bit. Being the packrat I am from excessive disassembly of hard drives, I used an old hard drive platter retaining ring, since it was the closest thing I had around to 1/2". I had to cut about 1/4 of the ring off to make it line up and not overlap the folded edge.
Picture%20263.jpg

Ready to roll.....
Picture%20269.jpg

Here's a shot of it with the power cable plugged in:
Picture%20271.jpg

And another shot, but sleeved:
Picture%20290.jpg

Next, I unsoldered the 3-pin connectors from the old ATX connector, as well as where the CCFL wires met the old connector's wires, and soldered them to the new cable's wires, following up by sleeving it.
Picture%20287.jpg

Now that it was all setup and ready to go, there was just one more problem....To many wires and cables to stare at, distracting the viewer from the main powerhouse and featured products.

So I some of the leftover black ABS from the HAXOR logo project to construct a shield for the HDD/PSU cages.
Picture%20274.jpg

This section however isn't part of the ABS for two reasons. 1) The length of the sheet I had leftover wasn't long enough. 2) There is a track on the side panel which runs the length of that side of the panel, and juts out about 1/4". Using the ABS would have made the side panel stick out a bit at the back, since it wouldn't be able to close entirely.
Picture%20275.jpg

Lucky for me my dad brought home a good deal of 3/8" thick black tint acrylic which I could cut up and use for this rear section.
Picture%20277.jpg

I originally planned to use this acrylic as the shield in the first place, but it was far to short to run the length of the case.

Two holes in the rear of the case to the left of the PSU were drilled out, the acrylic set in place, marked, and then tapped with dad's craftsman taping set and handle. The screws holding the acrylic in place are the top and top and bottom dome head screws. This piece won't be going anywhere, anytime soon....:)
Picture%20283.jpg

The last thing to do was plug it in and see if she came out all right....And she does. :D :D
Picture%20292.jpg

Picture%20296.jpg

I'm quite please with this connector, as it makes removing my side panel a breeze, and I can be rest assured it won't come unplugged by random, and that it will remain a tight and secure connection for decades to come. :)

These are normally called XLR connectors btw.
I've never used any because most of the places I need to use a disconnect I just suffice with barrel plugs.
Tre sexy though.

Yes, but a typical XLR connector has three pins. These connectors can be custom made and are offered from 2 to 72-pin configurations. I didn't think "XLR" was an accurate name for this type of connector.

XLR and Circular DIN connectors are just the style of connector. Mouser has several brands offering varying pin counts and locking styles.
Just one of many pages: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/626/861.pdf
Circular DIN is generally identical in dimensions to XLR (in matching pin counts) but has different sheilding and wirings standards since XLR is mainly for audio and Circular DIN is used for power and data.

I was wrong though. You're using CPC Circular DIN connectors, which are used for connecting instrumentation.

Last edited:
Back