• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

monitor SMART stats on NVMe drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

New toy. :D Dell XPS 13 with an NVMe SSD. :D :D

Based on the reported temperature situation with these drives, I'd like to monitor drive stats, particularly temperature. Crystal Disk Info doesn't see the drive. :( I found my favorite (on Linux) tool Smartmontools for Windows :) but it doesn't seem to see the drive either. With smartmontools on Windows I'm not actually sure how to specify the drive. On Linux it would probably be /dev/sda. ... It does have a --scan option:
Code:
PS C:\Users\hbart> smartctl --scan
/dev/sda -d scsi # /dev/sda, SCSI device
PS C:\Users\hbart> smartctl -a /dev/sda -d scsi
smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [x86_64-w64-mingw32-w10-b17134] (sf-6.6-1)
Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Smartctl open device: /dev/sda failed: \\.\PhysicalDrive0: Open failed, Error=5
PS C:\Users\hbart>
No joy. :(

I installed HWmon and it shows disk utilization and nothing more.

Any recommendations for tools to monitor this drive?

Device manager shows it's using a Microsoft driver that dates to 6/21/2006 which seems pretty odd. :eh?:

Windows is a trip! I wonder how long I can stand it before I make some room on the drive and see how Linux runs.

Last edited:
Device manager tells me it is a Toshiba. KXG50ZNV512G. I'm not finding any downloads on the Toshiba site.

A quick search didn't turn up anything for Dell either.

I can find a bunch of Dell tasks in the task menu but can't seem to start any of them.

That was the first thing I thought of. No joy.

Awman. PNY doesn't have anything (drivers/software) for their stupid drives. Only thing that worked to read stats and temps was CrystalDiskinfo. Harddrive Sentinel doesn't even show anything.

Smartmontools supports nvme since v6.5 & you used the latest v6.6 (Nov '17). The gui for it (probably works in wine too who knows-it's portable at least), gssmartcontrol (https://www.neowin.net/news/gsmartcontrol-113), uses a separate exe for updating the 'drive' db but sourceforge is under maintenance (or simply having teething issues), and that aspect does not work. Did you try updating the db?

Note: smartmon is supported in windows if the driver supports nvme passthrough. "Successfully tested with NVMe drivers from Intel, OCZ/Toshiba and Samsung. Does not work with Intel RST drivers or Microsoft NVMe drivers."
Confusing enough? The ms drivers are the problem for smartmon. You'd think after 30 years ms could at least update some of these currently mass used drivers, and their dates. MS is more interested in pushing telemetry in 10, oh well.

Last edited:
Smartmontools supports nvme since v6.5 & you used the latest v6.6 (Nov '17). The gui for it (probably works in wine too who knows-it's portable at least), gssmartcontrol (https://www.neowin.net/news/gsmartcontrol-113), uses a separate exe for updating the 'drive' db but sourceforge is under maintenance (or simply having teething issues), and that aspect does not work. Did you try updating the db?
I don't think it is a database issue. I've seen 'not in database' many times on Linux and it just means that some of the more esoteric attributes cannot be interpreted (I think.) In this case it seems like it can't read anything from the drive.
"... Does not work with Intel RST drivers or Microsoft NVMe drivers."
I think this is the situation.

Here's what Windows shows as "driver details."
Screenshot (2).png
(And I don't know what that means.)

thanks,
hank

Can check Crucial Storage Executive. At least was working with my older NVMe drives, the same as Crystal Disk Info.

Device manager shows it's using a Microsoft driver that dates to 6/21/2006 which seems pretty odd. :eh?:

^ This just means that Windows sees the drive. Have you tried installing the proper chipset driver for the Laptop??

The HDD monitoring utility that I use is Hard Disk Sentinel. It has a lot of cool features :)

some versions of the ocz tool work and some dont. it seems that the one on their site tends to not work. I would see it the app will update and then try it again.
I dont have my toshiba nvme installed at the moment but I believe that version 2.3.2963 works

Back