• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor/TV for comp and xbox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satandole666

So my current monitor is a 21" 4:3 Sony Trinitron CRT that I have had for years now and it is working perfect. But I think I'm finally ready to enter the LCD hdtv/monitor scene. To make it worthwhile, I'd like to purchase something that works well with both my computer and my xbox (via HDMI). I'll be gaming with both. My xbox is currently hooked up to a SDTV (bleh) and I want to fix that.

So it has to have speakers regardless. I was thinking about getting a 37" 1080p TV but I don't know how well it would double as a computer monitor. The 49" 1080p TV I used to have hooked up to my HTPC worked great for sports, movies, and TV watching but the gaming quality was a little poor.

So what are some suggestions for a monitor w/ speakers than can double as a TV as well as some TVs that work alright as gaming monitors?

Yes it does and the only speakers I have lying around are some crappy Altec Lansings that would cost $20 at walmart new.

okay so this is what i would do buy yourself what ever display you want just make sure it has a hdmi in and it works with your xbox then get these speakers :http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-LS21...ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1317165144&sr=1-3
and buy these items to attach the speakers to the xbox 360 :
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Stereo-Female-Adapter/dp/B000J1H4VI/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b
and this
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-031...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317165219&sr=1-2

and it should allow you to do what you want

You'll probably have issues getting the hdmi and av connector plugged in at the same time.

By the way, you don't need that second adapter. Just plug the first into the line in port on your sound card and sound should come out of whatever you use to get sound from your computer.

Alright, lets change my request up a bit.

If there is anything I don't know about in the PC world it is display devices. Can anyone recommend some reasonably priced monitors and/or TVs that can do 1080p for gaming? I'd prefer a TV for the size/cost ratio but I don't want the image quality to suffer too much. I know that monitors are better in general, but I don't want to break the bank on a 32" monitor when I could get a 50"+ TV for the same price.

Alright, lets change my request up a bit.

If there is anything I don't know about in the PC world it is display devices. Can anyone recommend some reasonably priced monitors and/or TVs that can do 1080p for gaming? I'd prefer a TV for the size/cost ratio but I don't want the image quality to suffer too much. I know that monitors are better in general, but I don't want to break the bank on a 32" monitor when I could get a 50"+ TV for the same price.

Just make sure that the sesponse time is no higher then 5ms and you should be all right. I just got a 32 inch JVC TV at the egg on a 48 hour sale for 289.00. The screen could be a little brighter but am very happy with it. Plays BF2 with no ghosting or lag. Most TV's come with an optical audio in instead of the stereo in like on monitors. The one I got has a selectable gaming mode but I don't have it hooked up as a tv.

Back