• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

monitoring internet usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RuffRyder88

hey there,

I am on a cable internet line, which is shared with three other people via a router. Now the thing is, i suspect that one of them may be viewing questionable material, which is not on, as where we live this is banned, and we could all get in trouble.

is there any way that i could check his usage? It is my line, and the modem and router are running from my computer. I just want to know if i can see what sites he visits. I have asked, and he denys it, before someone suggets that.

cheers
bob

Yes there are lots of ways to do this, and I could easily explain a few but really Im not sure if becoming the designated concerned person is the best thing in your situation. I am not really clear on what you mean that you could all get in trouble, in that you should not be responsible for another persons actions. You seem concerned so what I would suggest is to get your own log on/sign on/ profile if you are sharing a single computer and stop trying to police the other members of your community. If you are not on a single computer what they do goes only on their computer and leaves no imprint on yours. If you dont see it , asked about it and still have to dig, I would say that goes beyond normal culpability. If it does ever become an issue it is simply a matter of looking at the individual computer or profile to determine who was or was not "breaking the law"

its his internet connection, if it happens over his connection he could be liable.

there are ways but i dont remember what they are, sorry.

solution #1: enable logging on your (NAT box/switch) and run whatever client the maker of that device has to look at the log
solution #2: if you are all on a hub, Google for "urlsnarf", or anything similar
solution #3: if you are all on a switch, Google for "ettercap", ARP poison the path between that person and the "router", enable DNS resolve in it and you will see domains in clear text that they are currently going to

There is only one solution in his case. Kick the person out. If you do not trust them to believe what he tells you then you do not trust him enough to be a roomate with him. Kick him out and be done with it. This is not about his usage of the net but with your ability to trust this individual. Save yourself a lot of pain and BS and just kick him out right away! Just know that once you go the route you are asking us to give you the tools to go then there is no turning back you becaome thye snooper the big brother the hated and there is no way to recover your dignity from that. Do us all a favor and keep the higher ground and just kick him out now.

Back