• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monster 360mm fan, silverstone AP 181 - mini review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok so there has been some talk about thes huge fans over at PPCs shop. Well I had an idea to use one for an ultra silent build for my wife.

Anyways so lets start with a few pictures.

20110707191142.jpg

20110707191149.jpg

20110707191155.jpg

20110707203102.jpg

Ok so no scientific measurements were takin during this testing. Everything is from my observation.

The fan frame is not extremely rigid when held in the open. Securing to a sturdy case side should help this some.
The motor does not make a noticeable whine but is clearly audible. The rating on this fan is ~23 DBA however my ap181s are rated for 34dba at full speed and from my perspective quieter fans.
The airflow is good I have no way to measure it, but it had a good strong flow coming through it.

**Important note, This fan is made in china so your results WILL vary, but my fan's blades are CLEARLY NOT well balanced. There is a horizontal wobble of atlest 2mm. If these are installed blade side against a case panel this will likely result in some noise from the blades hitting the panel.

The silverstone AP181 has a few more reviews floating around the net but all were directed at upgrading the raven03 fans.

so lets kick it off with a few photos.

img1676k.jpg

img1683to.jpg

Ok so the overall build quality of the silverstone fans is top notch. Very heavy plastic with a rugged feel to them.
The motors make absolutely no noise. You can hear this fan open air from about 3' away when on high which is rated for 34db. However, all I hear is the wooooshing of the air moving through it.
The flow is strong and can flip the fan over if running in free air. I would say by feel that there is more air flowing through the AP181 than the monster but that could be because of the size difference as at the same CFM the AP181 is moving the air at 4x the velocity.

After its all said and done the silverstone is a much better fan, I cant say that i would buy the monster fan again. Given the particular application i purchased it for i will use it though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the mini-review ssjwizard :thup:

And you're results are about what I expected ;)

My first thought of that monstor was "wow, what a dainty looking motor" that thing is tiny looking even compared to the CM 200mm's that came in my Storm sniper.

Back