• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More air in or out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ven0m said:
How's that filter to noise reduction?

I ask cause I have no air filter, just server case with huge air intake...

I don't notice any differance in sound level with the filter in or out. I dunno if they can be purchased seperately from the case but if you can find one i don't think it would be to hard to mod it into your case.

how bout equal pressure? anyone besides me do that?

Is equal pressure truely possible? I don't believe that it would be or at least not in my system anyway. The reason i say this is because my power supply has two additional fans contributing to exhaust and the speed verys on them depending on the temp of the psu. So unless your running a passively cooled psu or know the CFM of the psu exhaust fans (I can't recall ever seeing the CFM of a PSU fan posted in the specs of the PSU), is equal pressure actually possible?

My psu is an Antec TruePower 430w by the way.

I currently have more air going in then I do out which seems to help this case.The other way around just did work well at all.Equal air in and out also works well with this case but I have to think that it differ case to case so you have try it out on what you have I don't think a general statement will work for that reason alone.Sometimes there is no way around trial and error.

I've got 1 in on the frount 2 out on the back. I get a nice flow throught he case and when i crack them up my temps drop like a stone

Dave

For several of my aircooled systems I have found that having a filtered positive airflow has given the best results. Ducting and cable management I beleive makes the largest difference in improving case temps.

-2iC

My airflow is rather poor at the moment for a variety of reasons, so my temps are irrelevant. However a much neater friend found that a positive airflow into the case resulted in a drop of 10° C and got his P4 2.8 to 3.6 GHz stable.

So that would be another vote for positive.

i think, negative is better
i dont have that problems i have open case from both sides
and no case fans
;)

i have an equal amount of fans but more cfm blowing out and everything seems to work okay, but i dont really see a difference with more blowing in with my case either.

theoretically, i think equal cfm in and out would work the best. not only does your comp breath most efficiently, it puts less strain on your fans. if you have 2 fans blowing in and 1 out, that means those 2 fans push just as much air in as that 1 fan pushes out. the 1 fan works overhaul shortening its life and the 2 fans are essentially trying to push air into an environment that is trying to push air OUT. this means they are working overtime too and shortening their lives. not to mention the CFM brought in by those 2 fans is less than the CFM brought in if you had 2 exhausts and 2 intakes.

What do you guys think of the idea of having all the front, rear and side fans as 80mm intakes, and the exhausts as the psu fans and one 120mm fan on the top of the case? I think that would keep all the air in your case moving in a natural flow ^^^^. And you would get a alot of cool air blown over the cpu also. What do ya'll think?

i think it would trap some hot air in the bottom and you would just keep recycling cold air without it being used. i'm tellin you guys, have equal amount of air coming in and going out and get rid of hot spots. hold up an incense candle next to an intake and watch where the smoke goes. it will accumulate in a hot spot eventually

Back