• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOSFET Block idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

This may be totally foolish, but I thought of an easy way to make a MOSFET block and wanted to see if anyones got any thoughts on it. Basically all Im thinking is a copper pipe same ID as the tubes in my loop, maybe a little smaller, then soldered onto the bottom of the pipe just a flat strip of copper. Then the strip just sits on the MOSFETs and waters running through the pipe. I thought this because it shouldnt really add any resistance to the loop, and the fact that its all copper means it will soak the heat up pretty well i think.
Any opinions welcome :)

While the idea would work and there are retail products out there designed to do exactly that, they don't really put out a ton of heat.

Is cooling them just a bit of a showoff thing then? I really was thinking of it because my board is pretty budget so theres no cooling at all on them. Also theres no airflow in that area in my case. Second reason honestly is I like making stuff and that seemed like an easy one. ;)

Yup, the stock cooling system should handle just about anything. I've pushed a quad up to 5.233GHZ under a dry ice tube and they barely got warmer than normal.

thideras ,mosfets on my foxconn get burning hot at times, it doesnt matter how high the clock of the Cpu was, amount of current at load running trough the mosfets what warms them up.

Mosfets put out alot of heat , heat that shouldn't be introduced into CPU loop , they are designed to run hot , some heat sinks is all u need and just some case air flow .

Last edited:
So you mean that cooling them too much will stop them operating as they are designed? Are you sure about that? Mine dont have any sinks on at all as stock which is why I was thinking about sticking a block on them just to play safe really.

So you mean that cooling them too much will stop them operating as they are designed? Are you sure about that? Mine dont have any sinks on at all as stock which is why I was thinking about sticking a block on them just to play safe really.

no i mean it is unnecessary as in they can withstand the temperature.

Running them cooler won't hurt them.

Back