• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most durable, longest lasting Laptops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigDan3131

I need to know what is the best laptop for my needs. I plan to start my own mobile comp servicing company and I need to find a dependable long lasting laptop that is in the 300.00 usd and under range. I know this means used and or refurbs, but what speed will be best with etc. I only plan to use this to download drivers and support software and then transfer it if I come across a totally buggy machine. If I find it necessary to reformat I can try and save their files to the lappy. I would think a PIII 800 Mhz would be a min speed but, can these older lappy's be upgraded memory and optics wise?

So give me a model and name and I will google for a while ;)

You could probably get ahold of a cheap pentium-m laptop for around $400

I would Recommend IBM

I would not recommend any laptop which uses a P4

also one of those 20 GIG portable hard drives would do very well for what you describe (since you only need it for storage space...)

You can probably find a decent Compaq Armada M300 for under 50 dollars. Pentium 3 era. If you buy an older laptop be prepared to buy a new battery along with it as well, as laptop batteries usually do not last too long and older ones, especially like on the M300, will not hold a charge very long if at all.

Honestly I think you should just fork out another 200-300 for a newer laptop, if you plan to do serious file transferring you will definately want something with USB2.0, which older laptops will not have. Though an external HDD or even a USB flash drive would do the same trick, and you wouldn't have to worry about batteries or anything.

I'd just wait for a good deal on a basic Inspiron for under $500.

If you want something indestuctable look for Itronix. They cater to the likes of fleet and military. The Panasonic Toughbook is similar too.

I'm still using a old P3 Inspiron 4000 for web browsing and it's held up really well, although I have babied it, only been dropped once. 8? years old now and still nothing broken. It's pretty easy to get into and work on/upgrade too. I think it's still worth about $200 now and would do what you're asking fine. I've added wireless and USB 2.0 cards to mine to keep it useful.

Back