• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Most reliable affordable 2TB Internal Hard Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=90

Other than personal experience, what do you see on the forums and elsewhere as being generally regarded as more reliable.
It has to be a 2TB so that it can be used on a multi boot which includes Windows XP, which has a 2TB internal hard drive limitation, that's why the thread is about 2TB size.

[SOLVED]:
JACKPOT!
I decided to get a 5 year warrantied WD BLACK 2TB drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236624
for $109 after coupon ESCELFF22 Expires at11:59pm PT on 7/12/2016.
I actually needed a 2TB maximum so that it can be accessed by all operating systems, some of which have a 2TB upper limit.

By the way this 64GB micro SD card is on sale for $13.99 with promo code ESCELFF25 Expires at 11:59pm PT on 7/12/2016
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231652

Last edited:
I'd just go with whichever has the specs that meet your needs and the best warranty.
With that being said....seems I saw an HGST model with 3 yr warranty ;)

I forgot to set the speed parameter to 7200 RPM, thanks for the reminder.
And warranty period is a good way to measure reliability.
I found a Western Digital Drive with a 5 year warranty.
$20 extra but even with regular backups, it's never cool to have these go down, so it is worth it.

Because these are for internal storage across multiple multi boot OS on my system and RAID would add unnecessary risk of failure. Reliability is the entire point of the thread. But 7200 allows for a couple of multiple transfer operations whereas you can really 'feel' the decrease of speed with drives under 7200 RPMs.

I also need to do more research as the 5 year warranty drive is not being sold by Newegg but by a Newegg market seller.

Raid one adds the risk of losing extra 2TB of data when/if 2TB of data storage fails.
I remember Gautam talking about that 10+ years ago in multiple threads on the forums.
The benefits of speed advantage are not outweighed by the additional risk of data loss is the conclusion I drew from reading those threads over the years.

The thread point is reliability, so $49 2TB drives are also tempting but risky.

Raid one adds the risk of losing extra 2TB of data when/if 2TB of data storage fails.
I remember Gautam talking about that 10+ years ago in multiple threads on the forums.
The benefits of speed advantage are not outweighed by the additional risk of data loss is the conclusion I drew from reading those threads over the years.

RAID1 is a mirror, all drives in the array are carrying identical data.
If you lose one drive of a pair, the other is fine...

You are thinking of raid0

And warranty period is a good way to measure reliability.
I found a Western Digital Drive with a 5 year warranty.
$20 extra but even with regular backups, it's never cool to have these go down, so it is worth it.
The extra $20 probably pays for some balance of extra build quality vs. cost of extra warranty coverage. My suspicion is that more goes toward covering the cost of warranty coverage rather than making a better drive.

That said, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Backblaze. They publish quarterly results in their drive reliability experience. If you've been following along you have seen them mentioned. At present they are having the best experience with HGST drives and though HGST drives are now manufactured by WD, it seems that HGST reliability remains high unlike WD branded drives which seem to be slipping. Were I in your situation, I'd buy a HGST drive. They do have drives in that class that are 7200 RPM and are reasonably priced.

NB I have recently purchased three HGST 3TB drives. Someone else here mentioned that the even numbered drives (2TB, 4TB) are more reliable than the odd ones (3TB, 5TB) due to the way the platters are laid out. Had I known I probably would have gone with 4TB drives.

HTH,
hank

JACKPOT!
I decided to get a 5 year warrantied WD BLACK 2TB drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236624
for $109 after coupon ESCELFF22 Expires at11:59pm PT on 7/12/2016.
I actually needed a 2TB maximum so that it can be accessed by all operating systems, some of which have a 2TB upper limit.

By the way this 64GB micro SD card is on sale for $13.99 with promo code ESCELFF25 Expires at 11:59pm PT on 7/12/2016
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231652

Back