• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard choice :-)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

REMA

Registered
SETUP:

Gainward GeForce GTX 260 896MB PhysX
PCI-Express 2.0, "Golden Sample", 2xDVI, HDCP, Cor
Microsoft Windows Vista Prem Engelsk
SP1,OEM,DVD,64
Corsair Dominator TWIN2X PC8500 4GB DDR2
Kit w/2x 2GB XMS2-8500 dimm's, CL5-5-5-15, 1066MHz
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
125W, AM2+, 8MB Cache, 3,0Ghz, Boxed
Corsair 850Tx psu
CoolerMaster dominator 690 chasis

Hello...My motherboard was faulty (ASUS M3N-HD/HDMI)...I must get a new one from supplier but they no longer carry the one I had. Which of these is best? ( will be running one GTX260 but later will invest in a second GTX260 and run in SLI.)
which of these are a better choice ...will O/C in the future but not to begin with (first build...need to learn first)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131383
Asus M4N82 Deluxe
OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131367
Asus M4N72-E
Don't consider price as these will be bought fromm swedich site...prices are 1169 and 1145 sKr respectively...Just wondered waht the advantages were with the 980a chipset..will not be running 3 cards.. The ASUS website though doesn't list the Asus M4N82 Deluxe as running Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D Ram in QUOTE"Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of DUAL-CHANNEL memory configuration" UNQUOTE .......I read this as it will NOT run two paired stick totalling 4096 at 1066mhz?

ALso any advice on a CPU cooler/fan for AMD PII X4 940 black CPU over the stock cooler fan (what is the stock cooler on these?)....please include details if your choice would need additional brackets or anything ?
Thanks for the help in advance

:welcome: to OCF!

Easy things first. The best price/performance cooler I know of is the Sunbeam Core Contact 120 cooler. Don't let the price fool you, it's one of the best out there.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004

nVidia motherboard choices are hard to call (BTW - the links don't work). People have had fair luck with the M4N72-E but the M4N82 is newer (and AM3 IIRC??). It's too bad you're running SLI instead of CrossFire - AMD boards have been doing very well. :-/

4x1 Gb RAM sticks may or may not work well. It's not that they won't run but they sometimes have trouble running at 1066, depending on the RAM and motherboard. And it's unpredictable what will run with what board - results vary wildly ...

Those both are good mobo's , of course the deluxe is more solid and if there is little difference in pricing go for it . What that quote says to me , that in fact it will run 4 gb of memory in 2x2Gb configuration , but not likely 4x1Gb or 4x2gb , but in all reality 4 gb is all you going to need and your kit in 2x2gb will work , also a link to where you read that would be helpful .

i second the cooler Ice suggested but i assume it s differently priced where you live so if you give us a list of some coolers you can afford/interested in we can recommend the best one for you .

Last edited:
hello and thanks for the welcome and the advice . the motherboard will be the Asus M4N72-E
WE don't have the Sunbeams...I was thinking of the OCZ Vendetta 2 which is like 345 kronor with free shipping here...To compare the Noctua NH-U12P CPU Cooler, 120mm fläkt is 646 kronor.
I am just worried that the Dominator RAM Corsair state :
Q » How tall are Corsair modules with the DHX/Dominator heat spreaders?
A » Modules with the DXH/Dominator heat spreader are 2in. / 52mm high.

Also the motherboard has quite a large (what I think is the North-bridge cooler)
http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=5tWNOaMAxGs1FXIQ

the thing is I WAS HOPING TO order one today so that I could install when new mobo comes.

Thanks for the help

There's a good chance your Dominators, or any other high-profile RAM, will have to go in the second pair of slots. As I see it you have two basic choices - either get low-profile RAM or go with a CPU-only water loop. I don't know of any good CPU sink* that doesn't have clearance issues - maybe someone else out there knows?

*I have to qualify this a little. If a front-back tower is shrouded and the fan is put on the back-side of the sink then there is usually room for the RAM.

Back