• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Motherboard Got Wet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOR3S

Woke up this morning and my AC was spitting water out.... Some landed on my desk area, and the bottom part of the case is all wet... I dried everything off, and the Mobo is sitting in front of the space heater right now. I took all the parts out from the case, so I hope they didn't get ruined also... I noticed that the LCD post doesn't work, and when I flip the power switch on and off, I can't use the onboard power buttons. How long should I leave it infront of the space heater.

Last edited:
i probably wouldnt have it infront of the heater, i'd probably get a big box, and put this stuff:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mimi-Litter-Cat-Litter-4-lb/12018928

or this stuff:

http://www.drizair.com/

in the bottom of the box, open the case sides and set it in there for a few days, they take moisture out of the air basicly and the water will eventuall exaporate and this stuff will catch it.

i tell people to toss their phones in this stuff immediatly after getting wet and leave it a few days and as long as something didnt short out and fry it immediatly then it usually saves it.

a computer is a little more open than a phone so i dont reccomend pouring it into the computer it self, setting it on top in a box where it will be controled is a better option

i probably wouldnt have it infront of the heater, i'd probably get a big box, and put this stuff:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mimi-Litter-Cat-Litter-4-lb/12018928

or this stuff:

http://www.drizair.com/

in the bottom of the box, open the case sides and set it in there for a few days, they take moisture out of the air basicly and the water will eventuall exaporate and this stuff will catch it.

i tell people to toss their phones in this stuff immediatly after getting wet and leave it a few days and as long as something didnt short out and fry it immediatly then it usually saves it.

a computer is a little more open than a phone so i dont reccomend pouring it into the computer it self, setting it on top in a box where it will be controled is a better option

After putting it in front of the heater, it posts kind of.. At least the motherboard turns on now, but it's just stuck at "searching devices" at the ROM screen or w/e.

For electrical items, placing them in (dried) rice is a simple dessicant, so I would recommend placing the wet electrical items in a bowl of it. Overheating them may not be the best idea :S

For electrical items, placing them in (dried) rice is a simple dessicant, so I would recommend placing the wet electrical items in a bowl of it. Overheating them may not be the best idea :S

Ya.... I placed it in a box with 3 bags of long grain rice..... didn't have brown.... how long should I keep it in for?

Last time when I had my board wet ... well all wet while it was running tests ( mix of SS and leaking wc ). I just used paper towels to dry everything in slots and other places and it was fine. I had maybe 3 floods on M5G and it's still running fine. No special drying methods, just make sure there is no water in slots/sockets or just leave it for some hours to dry ( water will evaporate quite fast ).

Last time when I had my board wet ... well all wet while it was running tests ( mix of SS and leaking wc ). I just used paper towels to dry everything in slots and other places and it was fine. I had maybe 3 floods on M5G and it's still running fine. No special drying methods, just make sure there is no water in slots/sockets or just leave it for some hours to dry ( water will evaporate quite fast ).

Idk if it was the rice or just the space heater on full blast, but it works now!! Thanks everyone, I love you all <3

/) BRO HOOFS!!!!

Aslong as your not taking the board up to temperatures in excess of 270c they generally wont have a problem with, A hair dryer maxs the temp of a motherboard out at around 70-75c, Which is generally nothing to them. During assembly they consitantly go through heat cycles of 220-260c the solder melts 210-230c.

Generally a hair dryer will be more than enough to dry out a board, pay special attention to memory sockets, cpu socket, and the power phases. Helps to remove the heatsinks over those areas aswell so you make sure to push any small amounts of water that might want to fing there way under components.

Back