• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard sound via HDMI, and are 5 speakers much better than 4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigonroad

Hi there,

I'm planning on building a new PC soon, with an ASUS H81M-PLUS motherboard.

I currently use an external USB DAC into my seperates system for sound - and its great. But I use a 2 channel amp with two sets of speakers wired up in parallel. It sounds fantastic for music, but for stuff like films and games it loses a lot of directional data - because its still just a 2 channel setup.

So I'm planning on getting a 5.1 surround amp, and then running the sound in through that - but I'm not very up to date with digital audio.

1. What is the best option?

• Optical Out
  • HDMI Out
  • USB DAC

Are modern motherboards better shielded, and presumeably digital outputs less effected by noise? My old PC, with a DP43TF motherboard, gave awful sound on the analog outputs, hence using the DAC.

2. If I use HDMI, will I be able to use the onboard sound HDMI output at the same time as using an standalone graphics card (960 GTX) for my graphics? If I have to use the graphics card output, will it still be routed through the motherboard sound circuits?

3. Finally, is it worth upgrading to 5 channel and getting a center speaker? Does anyone there use a 4 channel setup for gaming here - with decent speaker positioning, is the lack of a center speaker even that noticeable?

Thanks for the help!
Chris

If you're going 5.1, then use HDMI as your audio connect from the pc to the receiver for the best sound available. Optical won't do 5.1 for a lot of things, like games and lacks the codecs pass-through. You'll want to have a center speaker for a proper 5.1 setup for games & movies. When using HDMI, you're bypassing the sound card completely, as this is a raw audio signal. You don't use the onboard/sound card at all for this.

Back