• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
I was thinking about getting an asus a7v8x board with new 2100 cpu and agp 8x was just woundering if i would have to reinstall windows xp.

OS = xp pro
mobo = asus a7v266
cpu = amd1700 1.47
@1.61 vcore 1.85 11x 146/37
temp = 0% cpu 50c 100% cpu 56c
mem = kingston 512 ddr2100
hd = ibm deskstar 7200rpm 40gb
dvd rom + cd rw
soundcard = soundblasterlive
speakers= creative 5.1
vga = geforce3 @ core clock 245 memory clock 560

I did not have to. Recently replaced a couple motherboards on XP machines and after I set all the BIOS settings, I rebooted and had it boot the WinXP CD at which point I told it to repair windows. It did it's partial reinstall thing (looks just like its installing) and everything went smooth. WinXP ran just fine and all the crap was still there. Still, you can't beat a fresh install, so if you can back up and do that, that would be my reccommendation.

You will not have to reinstall. Honestly, though, if you can wait a little while, it might be worth it to hold out for KT400A. Only if you are upgrading your memory, though. That pc2100 will only be able to run at 133mhz. Maybe 145 or so, but don't expect much more than that.

Forget the 400 chipset, go with nforce2 board :D, They are comparable in price to the 400 chipset as of now, and are much more OC friendly

Yes you should definitely format to get the full performance.

If you have patience and upgrading isn't really a necessity for you then wait to see how the KT400A do. If not, I strongly recommend an 8RDA+, 2100+ AIUHB, and Corsair PC3200 or 3500 whatever fits your budget.

Back