• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Mounting" height difference between AM3 and AM4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrjayviper

Registered
Mounting height = the height of the CPU heart spreader when measured from the PCB

I believe there's a difference because I seemed to recall Noctua provides different colour spacers for AM3 (white) and AM4 (black).

I've searched the net but cannot find the answer.

Thanks

Edit: I downloaded the Noctua D15 installation manual and what I said is correct.

Last edited:
I don't think so...with my limted AMD experience on that socket, I do not recall any AIOs or heatsinks included extra washers... but I could be wrong.

Afaik there is no difference in height. All coolers that I was testing in last weeks (various brands) had only different hole placement. All had the same mounting brackets for AM3 and AM4.
Noctua delivers separately packed mounting kits for all sockets as they exist under a different product numbers. Even though could be used one set for both sockets, then you get 2 sets of spacers etc. Another thing is that most popular Noctua coolers were made before AM4 appeared on the market. Their modified versions dedicated for AM4 have only this one mounting kit. Models that are older, have additional mounting kits for all newer sockets.

Here is a photo of both spacers:
https://noctua.at/pub/media/wysiwyg/faqs/spacer_bag.jpg

Back