• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MP3 Hard Drive Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is the file system compatible?

I know that when I try to read flash cards from my Rio MP3 player (an S10) on my flash reader, the files aren't readable. Evidently, a proprietary format is being used, although the files themselves are MP3 and WMA.

I can't help but wonder if while the hardware is compatible, the file systems may not be. -- Paul

actually, as far as i know, all the hard drive based archos are actually laptop hard drives. Your hard drive in your archos 6gb should be a 2.5" laptop harddrive.

I recently swapped a 40gig hard drive from a laptop with my 20gig Archos jukebox recorder v2 and the swap went flawlessly. When I first saw the harddrive, i couldn't believe how small it was.

The 44-40pin adapter Captain Slug showed is exactly what you'd need to hook it up to a desktop.

BTW, if you do plan on getting the adapter, MAKE sure you plug it in the right way. I've heard that you can plug it in backwards and actually kill your hard drive which is not a good thing.

Also, the archos mp3 players are formatted in FAT. But you can still have NTFS partitions on it, its just that the mp3 player won't see it, but if you plug it into your computer, the NTFS filesystems show up. You can use it as a 2.5" hard drive enclosure which is part of the reason why I placed a bigger hard drive in mine.

o u whould first need to ghost the drive so u dont lose the os to play the songs i did a mod with an old nomad it has a 100gb in it now haha beat that i pod lolol

macklin01 said:
Is the file system compatible?

I know that when I try to read flash cards from my Rio MP3 player (an S10) on my flash reader, the files aren't readable. Evidently, a proprietary format is being used, although the files themselves are MP3 and WMA.

I can't help but wonder if while the hardware is compatible, the file systems may not be. -- Paul

Actually many of them are being made specifically for the players they are in now and wont work in other devices - also some card readers wont read certain disk.

my sandisk wont read a 4g hitachi microdrive - but it will other types.

Back