• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS Fight Sim 2020 PC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
Oh no, what have I done! I've ordered the first components for my Flight Simulator build! :D
Ryzen 3800XT
Aorus Elite X570
2x16GB Trident Z Neo 3600

I still need to pick a M.2 1TB ssd, a PSU (650 to 750W), and a video card. I'm leaning toward a RTX 2080 Super video card - watching for sales.

If I can get my AM3 Apogee XL water block to fit an AM4 mount, I'll use it. Otherwise I'll need a new CPU waterblock.

I have a 32" VA 1440 144hz monitor in mind & I'm waiting for it to go on sale again. Covid has caused some components to stay high, but hoping that'll change soon. I'll be replacing a really old Samsung 1920x1200 TN panel.

I'd like to get recommendations from you guys for the pieces I'm still looking to buy. Thx!

Unless Apogee offers an adapter for the water block I think you will have to get a new one of those. The mounting holes are different for AM3 and AM4. Only the clip on style cooler products will work on both out of the box.

32" 1440... seems big for desk... maybe that is just me. But is is FS2020 and not a FPS... so............ :)

Unless Apogee offers an adapter for the water block I think you will have to get a new one of those. The mounting holes are different for AM3 and AM4. Only the clip on style cooler products will work on both out of the box.
I guess I'll need to search for some CPU block reviews. Not sure what's out there for AM4.
32" 1440... seems big for desk... maybe that is just me. But is is FS2020 and not a FPS... so............ :)
It is a good size desk & shouldn't be a problem. I was running Eyefinity/Surround on 3 1280x1024 monitors at one point. No issues for me with racing sims and flight sims at that width.
I got to look at a 32" 1440p in use at Fry's and I couldn't see a pixel density problem for my less than perfect eyesight. :thup:

That depends, some boards have AM3/AM4 mounting holes, but I don't believe his board is one of them.

I've been shopping new OS drives & I'm trying to decide. Should I go with one of the limited & unknown choices of 4x4 M.2 drives or go with a slower 3x4 M.2 of a known brand. I'm interested in a 1TB model.
If you have a motherboard with the 4x4 slot, what are you picking?

I think I can get my AM3+ waterblock to work on AM4 with some modding. More on that to come. :)

I can tell you that most contributors on this forum seem to go with the gen 3 PCIe m.2 drives because they give almost the same performance in most real world tasks as the gen 4 PCIe drives but cost much less at this point in time.

Back