• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS releases update to increase BD performance in W7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When i was sitting in a room with them, they said most things don't need the extra fpus (they also didn't have superpi or wprime installed on their benchmark demo rigs, and I got in trouble for installing them - when the machine hard shutdown, that gave me away). They also talked about power usage, stating how the power gating was much improved which was a big benefit as most cpus spend most their life waiting for things to do - so their pitch was design efficiency.

Regarding "modules" that was a marketing term. Engineering called them compute units. If you read chews stuff, he would always reference cu's not modules.

Last edited:
When i was sitting in a room with them, they said most things don't need the extra fpus (they also didn't have superpi or wprime installed on their benchmark demo rigs, and I got in trouble for installing them - when the machine hard shutdown, that gave me away). They also talked about power usage, stating how the power gating was much improved which was a big benefit as most cpus spend most their life waiting for things to do - so their pitch was design efficiency.

Regarding "modules" that was a marketing term. Engineering called them compute units. If you read chews stuff, he would always reference cu's not modules.

i wondered what cu meant when I was reading stuff on BD :thup:

When i was sitting in a room with them

Whose them? and did you ask 'them' why its taking so long to put something on the market at a reasonable price that will pummel 2500 / 2600K's into the ground?

Never mind about saving the planet. We just want a good, solid Intel basher.....:p

aw hell..... just show them this post.-

Get a grip AMD!!!! :thup:

Whose them? and did you ask 'them' why its taking so long to put something on the market at a reasonable price that will pummel 2500 / 2600K's into the ground?

Never mind about saving the planet. We just want a good, solid Intel basher.....:p

aw hell..... just show them this post.-

Get a grip AMD!!!! :thup:

Them is the same people who said it had 2 million transistors - AMD. I was there for the press briefing before it was released, when the guys broke the frequency record just outside the meeting room. It was simon solotko, damon munzy (who left just before their entire marketing department got whacked), and a bunch of other marketing people, and I think one amd senior/fellow engineer.

It's taking so long, because their tech is a generation behind effectively. Bulldozer is the product of 6 years of R&D, thats when they began laying out the new architecture - thats how long it takes to bring a new architecture to market. I don't know why it fell short from what most people wanted, but I read an article where an Ex-AMD engineer said when he left the company several years ago they were using automated tools much more - instead of laying out transistors manually, automated tools can do it at the cost of efficiency/die area possible by doing it all manually, but with the benefit of being able to get things done much faster. Without the budget that Intel has, it might have been a good decision by AMD. Makes it hard to compete with a sandybridge that they didn't see coming, that was likely borne out of the embarrassment of Intel getting it handed to them by A64... With the amount of time it takes to bring a new processor to market, its pretty likely sandybridge was in the works at a very young age when the A64 thing went down, and its probably had a lot more engineers working on it.

@ I.M.O.G, There are going to be delays with APU's as well, AMD have moved the newest 28nm manufacturing to TSMC.

Other then the delay i think this is a good idea, AMD themselves are not happy with BD's performance, (the intention was to out perform Sandy Bridge at the same cost) it seems they blame GlobalFoundries for BD's lower then expected performance and have canceled the 28nm APU's GlobalFoundries were contracted to manufacture.

As far as i know TSMC already make AMD's GPU's and will now pick up the 28nm chip.

This can only be a good thing IMO, no one can argue AMD's Graphics Processors are in anyway lacking.

AMD have had a run of bad luck and bad decisions these last few years.

I think TSMC will bring AMD back to where they used to be, and rightfully should be.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...cancels-28nm-apus-starts-from-scratch-at-tsmc

Last edited:
Them is the same people who said it had 2 million transistors - AMD. I was there for the press briefing before it was released, when the guys broke the frequency record just outside the meeting room. It was simon solotko, damon munzy (who left just before their entire marketing department got whacked), and a bunch of other marketing people, and I think one amd senior/fellow engineer.

It's taking so long, because their tech is a generation behind effectively. Bulldozer is the product of 6 years of R&D, thats when they began laying out the new architecture - thats how long it takes to bring a new architecture to market. I don't know why it fell short from what most people wanted, but I read an article where an Ex-AMD engineer said when he left the company several years ago they were using automated tools much more - instead of laying out transistors manually, automated tools can do it at the cost of efficiency/die area possible by doing it all manually, but with the benefit of being able to get things done much faster. Without the budget that Intel has, it might have been a good decision by AMD. Makes it hard to compete with a sandybridge that they didn't see coming, that was likely borne out of the embarrassment of Intel getting it handed to them by A64... With the amount of time it takes to bring a new processor to market, its pretty likely sandybridge was in the works at a very young age when the A64 thing went down, and its probably had a lot more engineers working on it.

It must have really hurt intel when A64 came out.. "they clearly didnt like that feeling and probably threw tones of money @ R&D and said "Dont let this happen again ever " lol and thus the SB-E/ SB/ i7/ c2e/c2q/ were born

Apparently the original patch was pulled but there is suppose to be a part 2 that has been pushed.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5251/microsoft-releases-hotfix-to-improve-bulldozer-performance

Oh bollox, just read anand, how on earth do I uninstall kernel live update ffs

Further big hairy bboolx, went to hotfix site and there is a revision 2 of hotfix v2.0 but when I reqest email, no hotfix available. so Im stuck with hotfix version 1.0..

I might just have to ride the storm out. MR Gates you really need to comback to MS and whip these boys into shape.. this would not have happend if you were captain..

:facepalm:

Last edited:
Global foundries didn't design the architecture, they just built it. The people who designed the architecture told us the wrong transistor count. I blame those people.

Yes. The marketing team doesn't set the transistor count, they publicize it. AMD is responsible for properly informing the public, and thereby the press. The transistor count fiasco goes all the way up the chain - not to the peons who got canned due to financials and a change in upper management.

It must have really hurt intel when A64 came out.. "they clearly didnt like that feeling and probably threw tones of money @ R&D and said "Dont let this happen again ever " lol and thus the SB-E/ SB/ i7/ c2e/c2q/ were born

Don't forget they also paid off dell with huge marketing money to carry intel exclusively, if not for that AMD would probably have an even larger market share and more R&D money to spend on new cpu's.

Don't forget they also paid off dell with huge marketing money to carry intel exclusively, if not for that AMD would probably have an even larger market share and more R&D money to spend on new cpu's.

Things like this is why i have no respect for Intel, I'm not an anti capitalist but Intel's behavior is some times beyond understanding or forgiveness, a while ago i read somewhere that Intel were buying up reputable review sites and then manipulating the results data to make AMD's look like junk, i don't know if its true but to often i'm getting significantly better benching results then whats reported on a lot of sites.

You sometimes get the impression Intel are not just being competitive, but are trying to extinguish the only competition they have by any shady means posible.

And if they achieve that the Intel fan club will get a shock they never anticipated. the price of there precious CPUs will rocket up and investment / innovation will all but stop.

Massive profiteering is Intels only ambition.

Last edited:
I doubt they are trying to 'extinguish' AMD. If so there would be Monopoly talk.. they need at least one punching bag. ;)

Any chance AMD will be able to build upon the Bulldozer architecture going forward? I'm not a big AMD guy, but it's scary to think of AMD being crippled because of this. A healthy competition is in everyone's bests interests, I believe.

This is just purely speculative, but you seem to be sufficiently informed, what's your take on where AMD goes next in the short-term?

Well wel well...

If AMD had the means, they would crush Intel, that's the law of the market, no good, no bad, only money makers.

Back