• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS Strategic Commander

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm intriuged.....

I'm wondering how the response is for more twitch FPS games (CS/Apex/BF/COD/Fortnite/PUBG/The Finals/etc.). That appartus looks a bit big or clunky for those type of games. Like a lot of 'throw' to get the response for movement (I'm assuming movement is sliding that thing in a direction).

I'm intriuged.....

I'm wondering how the response is for more twitch FPS games (CS/Apex/BF/COD/Fortnite/PUBG/The Finals/etc.). That appartus looks a bit big or clunky for those type of games. Like a lot of 'throw' to get the response for movement (I'm assuming movement is sliding that thing in a direction).
The movement can be fully proportional AKA analogue or digital (map to keys). Proportional depends on the game and if they allow you to alter the sensitivity. So in The Last Of Us a little bit of deflection allows you to creep us on enemies tap a key to grab them and then another key to break their neck ala Metal Gear Solid/Deus Ex (Warren Spector original). I use button as a sprint modifier. Some games go further and let you configure a dead-zone. It's also X, Y & Z; with Z axis used to look around corners.

If you map keyboard then their is walk modifier key mapping and that lets you set the zone (range) of walk modifier in the Strategic Engine software. Strategic Engine will also let you control the dead-zone and the Windows key repeat rate and repeat interval will let you set the sensitivity. You can also key macros, so if say certain keys needs to held down whilst you tap a key combo etc that also works. so X,Y,Z plus 27 button to be mapped. It's also great if you're into VR...

HOTASS USE
One of the Elite Dangerous commanders (players) developed Strategic Commander software that uses the Strategic Engine driver to get the analogue X, Y & Z data coupled with VJoy to give a virtual joystick to act as throttle part in HOTASS system in games like ED, MS FlightSim & Star Citizen.

StratCommander.JPG
Vjoy sees the three button ringed above as separate joystick button. Joystick Gremlin software lets you put them back to 3 modifier buttons for the six button on top to give the 24 joystick buttons. The two black next to three and six cannot be modified by the modifier keys ringed in blue. The rec button would let you set a keyboard mapping on the fly to one of the buttons but that is not supported anymore and I use it as a pause button.

Joystick Gremlin is only really required for HOTASS use where you need a large number of keys and proportional control. I use it with a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick and combine both into vJoy joystick with two x,y,z axis, a slider, one 4 way hat and 39 buttons; really enough for any flight/space sim...

STEAM USE
With Steam I just use Strategic Commander & vJoy only and map the Strategic Commander proportional X & Y axis to the left thumb joystick on the game controller, I use button 1 and 2 as left thumb L1 and L2 triggers and two of the three modifiers as R1 and R2 thumb triggers and use the black buttons next to button 3 and 6 as the thumb joystick buttons on the controller coupled with G502 Hero mouse. That is how I'm using it in The Last Of Us. In Cyberpunk 2077 I also have my Sony Dual Shock 4 plugged into use when I'm in a vehicle. The two don't conflict and work seamlessly one for FPS character mode the other vehicle. If you're into GTA i suppose that would be the way you use it in that...

Strategic Commander Software by CMDR Miko

Strategic Engine by Bodyphatt/Philip Merwarth

It's a quality, flexible piece of kit...

Last edited:
Back