• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Msi 790Fx-GD70 Problem :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nizzert

Registered
Hi there im new in the forum :D sorry if my english its no very well, the things is that i have a cpu with this spects:

Motherboard MSi 790Fx-GD70
Amd phenom II 955
Kingston hyperx 2x2GB
Power S. Cooler master Gx 650W

it was doing well since last week id installed drivers from the cd and also the overclocking programs like overdrive. I opened it (overdrive) and i was curious with the overcloking so i pressed overdrive autoclock thinking that software could determinate which would be the best setting for my cpu xD But in less than a minute the screen show me a message saying that pc its going to restart because cpu reach the 100ºC, i can't even restarted manually when the pc power off so now when im trying to power up nothing happen (NOTHING). I though my proc broked so i took the Cpu and analyze the component and realize that my proc had no physical change. When i connect the Power supply the power botton inside the mobo lights on but if i try to power on its do nothing :/ Please help me

PD: i know im stupid to overcloking without knowing the basic :(

Last edited:
Look in the motherboard manual on how to reset the CMOS/BIOS to default settings.

What were your temperatures before you made the change? It sounds like your heatsink isn't mounted properly.

The temperatures of the cpu was rounded 38º celcius i dont remember well but never had problem with that :/

I'd press the Clr Cmos, take off the battery, change jumper position :(

When the PC power off the first time (after doing overdrive) i didnt touch de components inside the tower and pc wont start :( maybe the mobo have a protection things i dont know :l

PD: thanks to answer so quick :D

Are you unplugging the computer from the wall and then resetting the BIOS? If you still can't get it, be sure all power is disconnected, pull the battery and let it sit for an hour or two.

Are you unplugging the computer from the wall and then resetting the BIOS? If you still can't get it, be sure all power is disconnected, pull the battery and let it sit for an hour or two.

Ok thanks u bro, i try to resseting the bios but nothing happened so i pulled the battery and will wait 1-2 hours :D thanks u for helping

Pd: theres a thing that i think its weird, if the proc or any components are having trouble the mobo should turn on the fans even if the proc o others things have problems?

Yes, even if the processor is completely inoperable, the fans and peripheral devices should still spin up.

Bad news, i'd wait 2 hours and put the battery again..the same things happened, maybe overdrive broke my Mobo! its that possible? i connect power supply and the button inside of it work but not power up the pc :l

update: i tested my power supply in other pc and work fine, i think the problem is in the mobo.

UPDATE 2: I connect 3 PSU in the pc.. when i only connect the 24 pines into the mobo this power up and start working the fans, but when i connect the atx 12v power connector 4pines which provide energy to the Cpu wont start :l

Something like these :l

Last edited:
but when i connect the atx 12v power connector 4pines which provide energy to the Cpu wont start : = Cpu shorted out and is bad now or the cpu socket to board connections have an issue. Short story is the cpu or motherboard is now bad. Since the board was run until the heat warning came on the screen...I would guess the cpu is dead.

PS: I think most of us leave this auto overclocking alone. By the time the software sorts what it thinks is okay...well the damage is done if not monitoring the temps all along in real time.

I think the problem its in the mobo :/

Last edited:
When it boots do you get any debug codes on the motherboard ? I have the same board and when I lost my processor twice I was getting the FF code.

I probably shouldn't have used the word boot sorry but, what I am trying to say is do the phase led's come on and do you get a FF code. When I used Auto overclock in AMD overdrive I fried both a X2 555 and a X3 720. I originally though my board was fried also but both times it ended up being the CPU. :rain:

When i connect the 24 pines and 4+4 connector, the mobo dont start.. but the light of power is on. When i power on the pc without the 4+4 connector, the mobo starts. I think its the mobo because i take off the proc. and even with that the mobo doesnt start :l

images

when your turn on the board what does it say here ?

FF means that the CPU cannot start for some reason... damaged, lack of power, no memory, whatever. If the CPU cannot start, FF is shown.

I am not absolutely positive but I think it just fried your CPU just like mine was.

FF means that the CPU cannot start for some reason... damaged, lack of power, no memory, whatever. If the CPU cannot start, FF is shown.

I am not absolutely positive but I think it just fried your CPU just like mine was.

I think its more like the cpu socket its fried because the mobo should turn on with or without the proc, i mean.. it should power the fans at least.. but nothing do :l i think maybe its the PSU or Mobo

Hmm that is odd I am kinda at a loss of what it could be I hope its something simple.

Turns on without the 4-pin plugged in, but fails to cycle with it plugged in? Sounds like a PSU issue. Do you have any other powersupplies you could test your setup with?

Have you disconnected everything to rule out other issues (harddrives, optical drives, usb devices, sound, network, video -- try using onboard video)? A short in any number of devices could prevent the PSU from cycling.

Yes with everything disconnected, my board need 4+4 pines. i have others PSU but only has 4pines not 4+4. I tested both 4pines separate that has my PSU in a board that need only 1 and work fine, i dont thinks its problem of power but in this point im praying that the mobo its not the problem :/ xD.

thanks u all for the help :D

Back