• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Big Bang Xpower X58 or ASUS Rampage III Formula or EVGA X58 FTW3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RyanB

Registered
MSI Big Bang Xpower X58
ASUS Rampage III Formula
EVGA X58 FTW3

So I've read all the reviews....and......I can't make a choice. So what are you're opinions on these boards?

My setup is going to look like this:

-Coolermaster Haf X EATX Tower Case Black
-Windows 7 Home Premium
-Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (buying a SSD sometime in April)
-i7 950
-Noctua NH-D14
-MSI Big Bang Xpower X58 // ASUS Rampage III Formula // EVGA X58 FTW3
-G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 (Needs to be low profile for the HUGE CPU cooler)
-Any quality 850 watt or higher power supply
-1x Radeon 6970 or 2x Radeon 6870s

I'd like to reach 4.2GHZ on the i7 950 and I think that is realistic with the cooler I've selected. I know there is some luck of the draw associated with the i7 950 chip though.

Thoughts?

Here's a review of the MSI Big Bang XPower that I looked into before picking it up: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1327/1/

It shows a good bit of info on the different aspects of the motherboard and the pros/cons. I suggest giving that a read.

I love EVGA, but have been rubbed the wrong way by their products and customer service the past few times I've used their products, so I'd personally push more towards the MSI or ASUS. I might've leaned more towards the ASUS when I purchased everything, but ended up going with the MSI and i7 930 because I got such a great deal on them as a combo (350 together). However, after purchasing the MSI, I've been nothing but happy with it.

Hope my 2 cents help you out bro, and goodluck!

Just a another note, I picked up the corsair H70 for my CPU cooler and IC Diamond thermal paste, they've been fantastic. I suggest checking into this combo if you have some extra funds.

Edit - Seems I need to update my hardware on my sig lol.

Any one of the 4 boards you've been looking at (including the other ASUS) will do nicely with an i7 950 and a ~ 4 to 4.2GHz overclock provided that the chip is a decent overclocker.

It really comes down to personal preference, the pricing and or layout/features. I would be happy to own/overclock any of them.

The only board that you listed that I actually have any experience with is the R3F and it performs nicely. My only comment that about that particular board is that the ram slot positioning on the board may be closer to the cpu socket than some of the others this tends to favor more standard height ram sticks or you may have some interference with certain larger air coolers. However I see that you are already planning standard height G. Skills to go with the NH-D14.

MSI BIG BANG XPOWER PLZZZZ!!! No but really it's gotten outstanding review and comes a good price point for all of the features. I have a p55 variant of sorts and I love mine with the OC Dashboard and the Wave card. Can't go wrong at all with that board.

eVGA FTW3, hands down. Obviously you're asking for a personal preference, and none of the boards will have a problem doing what you are going to be asking of it. I'm not a big fan of the Formula boards(not good for bclk), and MSI has never really been on my good list.

I have almost all the same equipment you do, down to the case, only difference I went with a bigger PS. I choose the Big Bang and it has been working great for me.

Back