• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI GD70 or crosshairIII

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

Hey, I think I am just about ready to upgrade to AM3. Now before you all start booing and hissing about "how AM3 is no better than AM2+" AM3 boards seem to be built better than my current AM2+, so I'm hoping it will allow me to get my 955 more stable.

So I'm stuck between two motherboards at the moment, the MSI GD70 and the Asus crosshairIII. I'm shooting for the best overclocking board, and seeing as how the asus seems to have better power management, I'm kind of leaning toward that.
What do you guys think.

I think they are so close to each other in OCing ability, that it wouldnt matter. Look at the other features of the board to make your decision. I went with the GD70, because it has 4 pcie slots, OC dial, it was cheaper, looks super sexy, and I liked the overall layout.
Your right in saying that AM2+ aint much different. You might see some added stability, and OCing with slightly lower voltages.

I agree with mxthunder, you will be satisfied with both boards. I also went with the gd70 for the same reasons mxthunder did. The layout is super nice and it is cheaper than the crosshair.

From what I have seen AM3 really seems to open up certain chips, so I would not poo poo going AM3.

It is not worth the 50-100% price difference to me, but it is a superior platform.

I have the MSI board and love it. I think it looks a bit nicer IMO and thats why I got it. This may not be a factor if you don't have a window. If you can't differentiate on anything but price though, pick the cheaper board. You might be splitting hairs here as they are so similar.

Crosshair III Formula is the choice. It is the most advanced OCing board i have ever seen. Options like a DFI ocing mobo but way less finiky and load line calibration for a much more stable setup. Asus has their mark with the AM3 boards, they waited a while before they got all of their stuff together for a reason, they took the time to get it right. Asus has what 3 bios revisions for the CHIIIF vs the 25 for the MSI board. Im sorry MSI will never be a top board manufacturer in my eyes till they can actually produce a mobo that works properly on the very first bios revision and have MINOR changes for the other revisions instead of the MAJOR changes they continually do as they are so rushed and hurried.

If you are only running a single card just get the CHIIIF and the superior sound card that comes with it, OC the hell out of your chip and be happy.

One thing that is a decision maker for is the fact that if you go dual crossfire (assuming u have double slotted video cards) on the asus, the only expansion slot you are left with is a standard PCI slot, not the case with the msi, you would have two PCI-e and one standard PCI. I realize that the asus is touted as a "gamer" board, although I am getting into gaming, my pc serves also as HTPC, and is it important to have available expansion slots for TV tuner cards and such.

Back