• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dillard

Ok, so i recently built myself a new rig:

i7-4790K 4x 4.0 GHz (not oc)
Cooler Master Seidon 120V water cooling
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 (2 PCIe 16x slots)
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780 MSI Ti Gaming 3G
16384MB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel 1600MHz (2x 8GB)
2000GB SATA III 7200upm
500GB SATA III Samsung 840 EVO SSD
700 Watt BeQuiet System Power 80+ (PSU, max. 750 W)
Creative Soundblaster Z
Windows 8.1 64Bit OEM
Corsair Graphite 600T Big-Tower

so far i'm quite happy with the gaming power... :)
But because i'm also planning to buy a 4K-monitor in the next year i would like to find out about my SLI-possibilities.
I read a little bit about the topic on the nvidia site and the oc forums, but I still have some questions.
Will I encounter any problems when i just put in another "MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming" and turn on SLI mode?
Will the PSU be sufficient?
Is it true SLI doesnt work under Windows 8 (I cant believe it)?
Do i need to install Win7, or is the Win8 support coming soon?

Thanks in advance for any help and please forgive me my noob-questions and english grammar mistakes!

Can you get a link to the PSU? That's a pretty generic description.

SLI works with 8/8.1 just fine.

You listed an LGA 1150 CPU, but an LGA2011 motherboard.
Which do you have?

Will I encounter any problems when i just put in another "MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming" and turn on SLI mode?
Will the PSU be sufficient?
Is it true SLI doesnt work under Windows 8 (I cant believe it)?
Do i need to install Win7, or is the Win8 support coming soon?
1. Not likely.
2. If it is left at stock, that PSU will be fine. Overclocking both CPU and the GPUs heavily with modded bios' on the GPUs, it may run short.
3. Not true.
3a. So no need to install another OS.

+1 to impossible CPU and mobo combo, LOL!

that is the new x79 x 1150 socket adapter

Surprised you and ATM have not heard of them yet .......... :rofl:

750 to close for my liking with 2x 780's

especially if it is a low quality unit

Link to the PSU:
http://www.bequiet.com/de/powersupply/291

happy to hear it works with Win 8.1, wasnt listed as supported OS on the nvidia site.

I made a mistake with the CPU:
Its the Intel Core i7-4930K 6x 3.4GHz

As long as you balance your power draw across the 12V rails evenly you won't have any issues.
I wouldn't try to overclock heavily though.

that is the new x79 x 1150 socket adapter

Surprised you and ATM have not heard of them yet .......... :rofl:

750 to close for my liking with 2x 780's

especially if it is a low quality unit

BeQuiet makes some killer PSUs, I would trust them beyond their rating on a daily basis.

BQ makes some solid units... unless its an old BQ unit... EDIT: its not...

For benching w/ modded bios, I wouldn't want a 700W unit. However for just default bios and 4790k both overclocked. I'd rock a quality PSU on that any day. 250W TDP on those cards... 84W on the CPU, 50W for everything else and that is assuming the cards and the CPU are running 100% of their TDP... ;)

BQ makes some solid units... unless its an old BQ unit... EDIT: its not...

For benching w/ modded bios, I wouldn't want a 700W unit. However for just default bios and 4790k both overclocked. I'd rock a quality PSU on that any day. 250W TDP on those cards... 84W on the CPU, 50W for everything else and that is assuming the cards and the CPU are running 100% of their TDP... ;)

4930K as clarified later, but still the same answer really.

Allright, thanks a lot for the infos. Happy to hear that there shouldnt be any problems. Heavy overclocking isnt planned, dont think it will be necessary.

Allright, thanks a lot for the infos. Happy to hear that there shouldnt be any problems. Heavy overclocking isnt planned, dont think it will be necessary.

You're welcome :)
Feel free to post some pics of your build if you get a chance!

Back